everyone counts

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Wednesday

As I continue to think about the Roman Catholic Church, I’ve identified 4reasons why I would even being looking in that direction.First there is the Eucharist. Going to our local Episcopalian church for ayear, reminded me how much I missed receiving communion every week. Andthere is a sense of the sacred, the HOLY that goes along with a liturgicalcelebration of the Lord’s Table, that I have seldom experienced inprotestant churches, although there are examples of this in some mainlinedenominational churches, ie. Lutheran and Methodist. But mainline churchesare so getting so liberal in their doctrines. Which brings me to thesecond reason.Leadership and Authority. I’m not a foolish person, naïve or uneducated. Iknow there has been corruption and some very dark ages in Roman Catholic –Papal history. Yet it seems that the problem of changing doctrine, liberalthinking, and church hoping til you find a church that fits, are allsymptoms of not having good, definite leadership…someone, somewhere whogive the final word to settle conflict. And it seems that without thisauthority, there are too many pastors and teachers out there who are undereducated, and unsupervised. When one says they only have to answer to oneauthority, be it the BIBLE or the LORD Himself, that leaves too much roomfor the deceiver to pervert the truth, and lead not only the shepherd buthis flock astray. The third reason follows logically. The question of doctrine. I’ve hadmany debates here and elsewhere about the doctrine of predestination. Butthere are other doctrines as well, that many main line churches, megachurches, and tela-evangelists claim to be ultimate truth, that I can’tswallow. Like tongues and rapture, while there are some, like HolyCommunion (John 6) and Apostolic authority, that they ignore or down play. And as I intentlylisten to Bible teachers, Catholic and non-Catholic, I hear much deeperteaching – more substance and less shouting, from the Catholics. The fourth reason is personal. It has to do with the journey I’ve been on.The journey that my husband and I have been on for the past 30 years.There have been a lot of road blocks and disappointments. Rejection andfrustration. It seems impossible, yet in some way logical that all thishas led us, in a very round about way, to the Catholic Church. And itwould actually make sense, if this were why things have been going the waythey’ve been going. The consideration. Choosing Catholic would be a much more seriousdecision than choosing to hop from the Assemblies of God to the Methodistor placePlaceNameBaptist PlaceTypeChurch. And there is the question of myimmortal soul. I think a true Catholic would tell me that if I didn’t“come home” I would end up burning in hell, having once known the wholetruth and rejecting it. I will not make my decision based on the fear ofhell. Yet, if Catholicism is true, except for the hope of Divine Mercy,that is a serious issue. Especially now.Which brings me to my prayer request. On March 14 I am going in for a biopsy on my kidney. I am not reallyworried about this. But the situation is real and could be serious. Ithink probably, at the least, I will have to have the kidney removed. Ihonestly expect the worst. But your prayers would be appreciated. Time to go back to work. Blessings All!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

know that i will be and have been praying for you my friend. please keep us updated. as for the earlier parts of your post, just a thought...you may have already looked into this, but i wanted to throw it out there just in case you hadn't. within the catholic church, their eucharist, has very different symbolism than that of most christian sects. i didn't realize that until i had my sacraments class in high school and had to do a report on them and did the research for myself. just wanted to give you a heads up...if that is what is attractive to you, by no means am i trying to put it down, i just wanted to make sure you realized that there is a big difference. also, i don't know many catholics that would say you're going to hell if you're not catholic because most of them say that they are christian and i believe that many of them are, but from 8 years of dealing with the catholic church i always left feeling like they didn't "get" the relationship part with jesus. i believe that 99% of catholics believe very similar things that we do when it comes to classifying yourself as a christian, but again, as i stated, it seems they are usually lacking or void of the knowledge that a personal relationship with christ is the necessary key as stated in Romans 8. I would pretty much reread this chapter (as it always refreshes me), but here are some of the specific verses to which I'm referring to and I'm sure you've heard them before my friend.
"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death." vs 1-2
"You, however are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ. But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness. And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you." vs 9-11

again, just trying to throw out any help i can, but if this in anyway is unhelpful, please don't let it be a discourager. i admire the search your on and i pray that you find the answers you are looking for.

God Bless my friend!!!

Stephanie said...

sorry, should have reread my comment before posting in that last paragraph i realized i typed the wrong your and as a teacher (i'm sure you'll be thinking the same thing) it makes my skin crawl to see that....sorry *you're

M. C. Pearson said...

Hey sweetheart. Been a long time! Just wanted to let you know that Seek and Ye Shall Find is finally off hiatus...looks like you haven't posted for a while. Hope everything is alright.