everyone counts

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Wednesday

I’m not sure where I’ll be going to Church the next few Sundays. We’ve been worshiping in the local Episcopal congregation for about a year, but our friend the priest resigned last week. God bless him and his family for taking a stand for the Gospel of Christ and the authority of the Bible over the authority of man, or in this case woman.
Ah, the chain of authority, submitting to authority. I know there is a lot that can be said against the Roman Catholic Church. But look at the depths to which so many main line denominations have fallen. Churches which exist because their founders rebelled or at the very least protested against the authority of the RC church.
The Bible alone! Yet so many argue over what it means. If we were in agreement, there wouldn’t be so many different denominations. Faith alone? But even the demons believe.
I recently heard a priest address the idea of faith alone. First that in that oft quoted verse, “by faith alone” the word alone was added by Luther in his translation into German.
Second, that when talking about entering into the kingdom of God, Jesus included the “sacraments”. In John 6 He says unless we eat of his body and drink of his blood we can not enter the Kingdom of God - not a direct quote but I often wonder if non-catholic ministers really meditate on that intense teaching. Or perhaps, like giving honor to Mary, they think that Communion is “too Catholic” to give much attention to. And baptism for the forgiveness of sin.
And James, the brother of Jesus, (his step brother or cousin if you go along with Catholic teaching) says “not by faith alone” 2:24. When the rich young ruler asked Jesus what he should do to be saved, Jesus answered, obey the commandments and sell all your stuff and give to the poor.
Like I said, I don’t know where I’ll be going to Church now that Fr. Carl quit. Maybe the LORD will open a door for Pastor Art to minister again. Maybe I’ll find a good Wesleyan type church. We were discussing our options on the way home last Sunday. Oh well, I will trust in the LORD, trust that He will direct my paths. At least I know, that today I will watch the sun rise, go to work, teach and drink green tea. I know my students will frustrate me and make me smile. I know I will try to tackle the paperwork piling up on my desk, and come home exhausted. Yesterday my husband - Pastor Art - and I got to share a glorious sunrise and sunset. Praise to the LORD, the Almighty, the maker of heaven and earth - amen

4 comments:

approvedworkman said...

The RCC is no model to follow. The Church is all the saints, not a separated clergy/magesterium lording over the people.

The demons believe that there is one God and they tremble at the knowledge. They are not followers of Jesus, but they do know who He is.

As for Mary, evangelicals and protestants do not dishonor her. The Word says all generations call her blessed and she is. However she was not born without sin, she was not assumed bodily into heaven, and she is not the ark of the new covenant. Honor her by preaching the real Word of Truth. What should we do, give her a special day? Then we would have to do that for Peter, Paul etc. Hey wait, the RCC is already doing that.
The RCC does no honor to anyone but themselves by preaching and enforcing fables. They do not preach the Mary of Scripture, nor the true Jesus and Gospel.
How does the false unity of agreement with false doctrine equate to unity of the Body?
The papists convert/converted people at gunpoint.
Perhaps there are so many denominations because the one true church is a remnant, and the Gospel is veiled to those who are perishing. But ....hey we don't wanty to proclaim that God is sovereign now do we?

Arthur Brokop II said...

He is the King of Kings and the LORD of Lords, His name is Jesus - Prince of Peace, Sovereign, Yes! A puppet master, No!
And, although, in all my years as a Catholic I never heard of Mary as being called the "Ark of the New Covenant" I smile at the designation and thought - well, for at least 9 months she was.

Wanderer said...

Approvedworkman - While no friend of the RCC myself, I find myself curious in many such situations and must therefore ask. Do you realize that the arguments you make for and against are singularly lacking in foundation? That your inflammatory comments don't even give themselves strawman support.

Do you actually win people over by insult and passionate, un-reinforced words?

"The RCC does no honor to anyone but themselves by preaching and enforcing fables."

"How does the false unity of agreement with false doctrine equate to unity of the Body?"

"Perhaps there are so many denominations because the one true church is a remnant, and the Gospel is veiled to those who are perishing."

All of the above unsupported even in your own argument. Below?:

"But ....hey we don't wanty to proclaim that God is sovereign now do we?"

Nowhere more than in Christian blogs do I find such inflammatory non-sequitors. You seem to bolster yourself with this statement. The rest of us (at least the sensible folks) read the statement and ask, "Why not? Wait, was that sarcasm? What exactly is this person saying by pulling this comment out of thin air? Oh, wait, they just aren't making sense again." (Smacking self in forehead) "I should have realized that off the bat."

Stephanie said...

how are things going? how is your church hunt coming along? i'm praying for you and the journey you are on. :)