everyone counts

Monday, October 03, 2005

From Everlasting to Everlasting

I've been waking up at 4:00am for a few days now...waking up and getting up and wrapping myself in a blanket because the mornings are getting cold, and sitting out on the front deck - praying. It's not by choice. I rather stay in bed for two extra hours until the alarm goes off. But HE just won't let me. This "morning", if you can call 4:00am morning, I realized that most of the people I pray for, or about, are sleeping at that time of "day". My students, my grandchildren, even most of my friends is far away NY. (What time does the wanderer get up? with a new baby in the house it could be pretty early)
For a thousand years in Thy sight are like yesterday when it pases by, Or as a watch in the night. Psalm 90:4 My last post, about time, led me to Psalm 90 this morning. It's not an easy psalm. It speaks of the wrath of God, being consumed by His anger. It speaks of secret sins, a warning - He knows all and He will expose all. Verse 12 asks that He will teach us to number our days. Then, like in so many of the Psalms of lamentation and repentance it ends on a happier note. One that I will hold on to today, while I am doing paper work, and meeting with parents, and praying in my classroom. O satisfy us in the morning with Thy lovingkindness, That we may sing for joy and be glad all our days, Make us glad - and let the favor of the LORD our God be upon us...When I get to work, I'm going to read it in The Message. It's gonna be a long day. I have to stay late for parent/teacher conferences, and I am tired already. Thank God for coffee!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with conferences!! Ours are in about two weeks.

I know what you mean about getting up early. Normally, I get up about 4:45 and then go running. This is when I find it the most effective for me to have my big prayer time during the day. When I get back, I have my quiet time, but lately I've been being woken up by Him around 3:00 and having a hard time going back to sleep, so I've been doing just what you're doing. I wonder if it's a teacher thing and our knowing that some of our students only receive love during the time they're in our classroom.

Anyway, take care and know a fellow teacher is praying for you!!!

Grey Owl said...

Coffee - the forth member of the trinity...

I'm gald you're finding so much time to pray, even if it is at such an unsanitary hour.

Wanderer said...

I am frequently awakened around 4 am (an hour before I plan on it) by Emily. I do of course have the advantage that my 4am comes later than yours. :)

Arthur Brokop II said...

Stephanie, conferences went well, but what a long day...12 hours...ugh
Grey Owl - caffine in any form
Wanderer - let's see, 4:00am your time is 2:00 am my time right? you get the sunrise before me...
I've slept in the past two days - til 5:30 - saturday I'm hoping to make it til 8:00

Wanderer said...

Maryellen - You're right, I did the math backwards. Your 4 am comes later than mine. So much for smirking to myself as I wake up. :)