everyone counts

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Galatians 5

Galatians 5:7 “You were running a good race. Who cut in on you and kept you from obeying the truth?” The Pastor mentioned this verse Sunday. Who has bewitched you, you were running the good race, who has caused you to stop. I found these verses earlier this summer, when revisiting the fruits of the spirit...this is what I posted back then:
The acts of the sinful nature vs. the fruit of the Spirit. I began at the beginning of the chapter, and obviously Paul was discussing the gentile/jew circumcision problem. No one has told me lately that I need to be circumcised, but verse 7 really got my attention. There were a couple other verses that seemed to be telling me the same thing: verse 9b - The one who is throwing you into confusion will pay the penalty…verse 15 - If you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other. I have been distracted. No, I have been literally stopped dead in my tracks. After 25 years of seeking first the Kingdom of God, I have been thrown into confusion, sucked into a debate that has all but destroyed my confidence, if not my faith. I have actually shouted into the heavens, “If that is who you really are, I want nothing to do with you!” And then came the panic attack. I should know better. I do know better. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. (verse 6b). Faith in the God that so loved the world…Faith in the God that does not want any one to perish…Faith in Father, Son, and Holy Spirit God. I have been finding it harder and harder to pray. What difference could it possible make if everything is set. I have used this “oh well, it’s been predestined” as an excuse to sin. God, I am sorry! Hide thy face from my sins and blot out all mine iniquities! The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit and a broken and a contrite heart, O, God, thou wilt not despise. Cause me to know the way wherin I should walk, for I lift up my soul unto thee!
Well, I slept in this morning, totally ignored the rooster, so I better gulp down my coffee and get a move on. I'm so glad to be back to work...feeling better spiritually and emotionally. Still kind of yucky physically and tomorrow I have to go to the dentist for major work...ugg

9 comments:

wellis68 said...

Paul seems pretty upset in the verses you referenced huh? I think I share his anger I find myself less and less frustrated with those who are "being stopped in their tracks" and more and more frustrated with the people who cause it.I am more and more patient with frustrating people and more and more frustrated with those who are impatient with frustrating people (does that make sense?).

I guess I'm just really tierd of people distorting the gopel into bad news.

Arthur Brokop II said...

agreed

Kim said...

AMEN!

Chris P. said...

So then what does this mean?

2 Cor 2:

15For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing, 16to one a fragrance from death to death, to the other a fragrance from life to life.

What is the Gospel? Is it don't worry be happy?

Arthur Brokop II said...

let's see, 2Cor.2, the heading in my Bible says, "Reaffirm Your Love"
Paul starts out saying he will not come to the corinthians in sorrow - be happy paul...rejoice, confidence and joy? hummm, forgive and comfort the sinner, thanks be to God, who always leads us in His triumph in Christ and maifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place.
I think I understand, Chris, what you are getting at with the saved and perishing bit...but it is not our place to change our smell. We are to always love, and always allow the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him manifest itself in our life. Why do you seem to have a problem with LOVE and JOY anyway? And what did that verse have to do with the fact that we must press on in the race that the LORD has put before us, and not be hindered by troubling doctrines, but rather be focused on faith, working though love.

Wanderer said...

Chris - In a word, yes. That is pretty much what the gospel seems to say. "Just tell me you're sorry and all of your mistakes will magically disappear. Oh yeah, you have to be sorry about stuff that wasn't even your fault because you were born with it."

I've read them, and they aren't so cut and dried on the message as people like to proclaim, but then I have never had as much problem with the book as with those who choose to use it to condemn me. That's not an argument I am going to expound on here, though. I don't wish to offend, but here is the base point. You boil the bible down and the message is, "Turn to me, and through me gain everlasting life." That sounds like a "Don't worry, be happy" teaching to me.

Arthur Brokop II said...

Dont worry, be happy, get a move on...

Chris P. said...

I was addressing Wes's comments more than anything. However if it isn't up to us to change our "smell", then who decides what we "smell" like and to whom do we smell that way? I have no problem with love and joy. I do have a problem with how the post-modern world defines them.
Wanderer you are closer to the mark than you may realize. Don't confuse the way the Gospel is commonly portrayed with its true reality. The Scriptures never say we are made sinless. They say we are blameless and forgiven. The consequences are real and we must live with them. The Gospel is not don't worry be happy. It is look unto Me, and be saved.

Wanderer said...

Thank you, Chris. I appreciate the fact that my somewhat less than PC representation of my views doesn't always inflame those it seems to be pointed to. Rest assured (if you were so concerned) that other people's reflections on the gospel didn't turn me away. My own study did that. I also never turned away from God. I only ever turned away from those who were selling him to me.