everyone counts

Thursday, June 23, 2005

More on Psalm 143

The enemy hath persecuted my soul;
Therefore is my spirit overwhelmed within me;
My heart within me is desolate;
My spirit faileth;
Bring my soul out of trouble;
Destroy all them that afflict my soul;
The enemy hunted me down,
He kicked me and stomped me with in an inch of my life
He put me in a black hole
I sat in despair, my spirit draining away
My heart heavy like lead.
I’m nearly at the end of my rope.
That is the old and new of it. Psalm 143 from the KJV and Message.
I just copied the bad verses, the sad verses, the Oh My God verses!
Know what they tell me? They tell me it’s ok to complain. It’s ok to Lament.
It’s nothing new. When I feel this way, I am in good company.
It’s God’s way of saying, “I understand, really!”
It’s also His way of showing me just who is behind these feelings of depression and despair. I may get mad at people, but I only have one enemy.
So I pray against the father of lies. I pray against the deceiving spirit whose only real weapon is fear. I pour my coffee and I go out to my front deck,
“Let me hear Thy lovingkindness in the morning…”

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your take on Psalm 143. It was nice and refreshing to hear what you had to say. Thank you. By the way, I too, am a teacher. Hope you're enjoying the beginning of summer!

Arthur Brokop II said...

Hey, I live in New Mexico, I've been on summer break for nearly a month, and I'm more than ready to go back to work...August 11th for me.

Monk-in-Training said...

It is OK to complain to God, His shoulders are broad enough for it, He wants us to be honest and open our hearts to Him, after all, even when we hide, He knows!

Great way to be open! :)

Kim said...

Oh MaryEllen -- another wonderful post! Another reason I wished you lived up the block. So happy to be related to you in Christ. Blessings.

Venancio Astúrdiga said...

Wake up people. There's no god. Nothing can save us from total destruction. We depend on ourselves. Just be responsible and accept it, and do something about it instead of praying.

Kim said...

Ah, Venacio. You may not believe in Him -- but He believes in you. And now, you're in the radar.

We'll be praying.

See you later...