everyone counts

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Glory

When I was a little girl, going to St. Monica's School, I learned the answers to these questions:
Who made you? God made me!
Why did God make you? God made me to know, love and serve Him on earth so that I could spend eternity with Him in Heaven.

Recently I heard tell, that the reason God made us was to glorify Him.
I didn't like that answer. It made Him sound more like a self-centered, egotistical tyrant and less like a Loving Father (Abba Father). Of course, if any being has the right to be self-centered and egotistical its God. But the thought that humankind was created so that for eternity we could sing "Holy, Holy, Holy" seemed somehow out of wack.

But this spring I was working through a Beth Moore Bible Study, Breaking Free, and learned something about what it means, Biblically, to glorify God. It's more than singing worship songs, or even dancing before the throne. It is reflecting back His goodness and love to those who see us. It is doing His will, and letting His Majesty and Truth shine forth from us.
The heavens declare His glory. For ages people who have gazed at the night sky have realized that someONE did that, made that. People need to look at me and know there is a God. My life must declare His glory as clearly as the Heavens and the Earth.

It doesn't always. And lately I haven't even cared. Still...my Abba Father says, trust and obey, and so
to God be the Glory!

No comments: