everyone counts

Wednesday, May 04, 2011

psalms

I had really gotten lazy about prayer and devotion. I was so disillusioned by the last "failure" in ministry last fall, and the root of bitterness, the spirit of offense, ate away at my soul like a cancer. I didn't want to go to church, I didn't want to pray...what good did it do anyway? Oh, it was still in my nature to praise HIM. To see HIS glory in the heavens. Even to say, "I love you LORD" a dozen times a day. But I didn't really want to talk to HIM. In March I picked up one of those "Our Daily Bread" devotionals. I needed something to get me started back in the habit of morning prayer and devotion. I especially like it. It's really not enough, and nothing is connected. It seems so random and mundane. But I've stuck to it. Some mornings its all I did. Some mornings I used the verses on the bottom of the pages of my prayer journal. There is a verse in the Psalms that I've recently discovered, Psalm 27:8, "Come, my heart says, seek His face".  In one translation it says, "My heart has heard You say, come talk with me."  Isn't that beautiful?
The LORD says, "come talk with me".
I am thinking, if we actually prayed through the Psalms, and studied them, they would lead us to most of the rest of the Bible. Psalm 1 would lead us to the Beatitudes. Psalm 23 would lead us to Ezekiel 34 and John 10. Many of the Psalms lead us back to Exodus, or ahead to the Cross. I've read through the Psalms, one a day and when I got to 119, one section a day. I read them aloud in the little sanctuary of our Mission...the one that the denomination "sold"...The one that sits deserted and over grown with weeds and makes my heart ache. See, there are those seeds of bitterness...and the thought - what difference did it make? Still, my little copy of "Our Daily Bread" is finished in a few days...so is this school year...maybe the Psalms will be my Summer Project. I will read through them from start to finish, seeing where else in the WORD they lead me. But now it is time to get dressed. My ride will be here soon. God bless who ever is reading these entries. My hit clicker seems to go up daily. God bless us, everyone!

No comments: