everyone counts

Monday, July 30, 2007

Rocks, Trees, and Little Birds

Tse Bit’Ai is the Dine’ word for Shiprock, which loosely translated means “Rock with Wings.” I teach at Tse Bit’Ai Middle School.
This morning, I spent 2 sweaty hours pulling weeds in a small, triangular area of the courtyard between the Church building and the Fellowship Hall.
Yesterday, some friends of ours visited our little church. I’d love them to come on a regular basis, but they are well rooted in a church on the Rez and I don’t want to be about stealing sheep from other folds. I work with Mary, and used to dance with her on a dance team at her home church. The family has eaten several holiday dinners with us. I often wondered how many of my northeastern friends could claim that they had “real Indians” at their Thanksgiving dinners? Anyway, I mention Mary and her family, because of an observation they made about the courtyard. When we were here nine years ago, this area was very lovely. Several trees and large bushes. When we moved back, it was overgrown with weeds and thistles, there were only 2 trees, one nearly dead, and it looked pretty sad.
One of the first things I did, when I realized that the LORD was going to allow us to minister here again, was to pull the large weeds that grew along side the church and put bird feeders and wind chimes in the trees. But every time I walked between the Church and home (we live in an apartment behind the fellowship hall) I felt overwhelmed at the extent of work that needed to be done. Yesterday, Al - Mary’s husband - commented on how much he liked at least part of the court yard. It is a sort of “rock garden”. There are large hunks of rock, petrified tree trunks, two Yucca plants (New Mexico’s state flower) and some cacti. Mary liked the wild flowers. I found out that some of the weeds were actually Navajo Tea, that grows wild in this area. I still want to upgrade the area. There are thistles and the kind of weed that “evolves” into tumble weeds. They have to go. (Isaiah 55:13 - Instead of the thorn bush, the cypress will come up, and instead of the nettle, the myrtle will come up.) I prayed that, as I was pulling weeds this morning. And as I pulled dead grasses and choking weeds away from the tree, I thought of how “all the trees of the field will clap their hands” Isaiah 55:12. I thought about just why I wanted the courtyard to look good. About how YHWH took Adam into the Garden of Eden, to cultivate it and keep it (Genesis 2:15) and how I want the people who come to this place to be blessed by it’s beauty and peace. But this morning I was noticing the beauty of each rock and wild flower. I hummed the hymn “On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand”, and thought of how the LORD said that if people didn’t praise Him, the rocks and stones themselves would shout with praise. Yeah, that is a little out of context, but as I weeded around the rocks, and dug out some buried rocks so that their beauty was more visible, I prayed that our little Church would be filled with song again, from people - not rocks. And I was blessed to see the sparrows and humming birds making use of the feeders I put in the tree. God knows each one of them, He knows each one of you, and He knows each one that is being called to come find Him at our little Church. Each widow and orphan. Each prisoner and lost sheep. Each laborer and prayer partner and scared warrior. As I was coming in to take a break and write this, I heard a sparrow chirping at the feeder. As he flew off, he lost one of his feathers which I picked up and put in our vehicle. It is hanging from our mirror along with our symbolic reminders that God loves the Dine’ and is able to “feed” the multitudes. It’s not an eagle feather, like the ones that hang from many Navajo mirrors. But it is a powerful reminder that God knows and God cares.

No comments: