everyone counts

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Prayer

Many years ago, my husband and I were asked to conduct a workshop on the occult for a statewide youth gathering. As we prepared for the weekend event we elicited prayer, knowing full well that a prayer covering was much needed for such activity.
Prayer covering…
Hedge of protection…
Prayer partners and prayer warriors…
Such terms mean little to the no Christian I suppose. Perhaps even some Christians are unsure of exactly what such expressions mean. Yet some of us take the concepts so much for granted that they actually become mundane and loose their power.
Concerning that workshop so many years ago. Our prayer partners knew the dates and times of the presentations (we did 4 to accommodate the hundreds of youth that attended the event) And each workshop was well attended and well received. What I remember most, and the reason I bring this up now, is that when the last session was done, within minutes, we both felt a very real “let down”, a sense of oppression and stress that took us by surprise. The prayers that had carried us through the event had ceased and we could actually, physically feel it. The enemy had been waiting, like foxes looking for cracks in the wall, so that they could get into the vineyard and nip at our heels.
I can recall a time, when I was teaching at a Christian School in NY, one of my student’s mother came up to me one morning, obviously distressed. “Are you alright?” she asked me with great concern. I was fine. She explained that she had woken up the night before with an overwhelming urge to pray for me and my family, which she did…for hours. I assured me I was fine, my family was in no crisis and she seemed disappointed. As if she had prayed and lost all that sleep for nothing. I reassured her by saying that we may never know what sort of crisis or emergency, or spiritual attack her prayers may have averted. And to never resist the urge to pray for someone, whenever, however it comes.
Prayer.
So many people lifted me up in prayer over the past few months. Like the paralytic on the mat, being lifted to the roof top and lowered into the presence of the LORD.
I am humbled.
What did that paralytic think? He basically just went along for the ride. And I’m sure it wasn’t a very comfortable ride. How aware was he of where he was being taken? Was he anxious or simply resigned?
From the first hint of a possible problem in January, through the test, to the diagnosis, to the ride into surgery, I was resigned and at peace. The word Cancer did not really scare me, only the concept of a long fight and loosing my hair gave me a bit of anxiety, but impending death didn’t bother me at all. Asking for healing didn’t even cross my mind. But apparently it did cross the minds of many friends and relatives who put me on prayer chains and lifted me up to our LORD. A hedge of protection. Peace that passes understanding. Healing graces. Mercy.
I am humbled.
I’ve been healed. And I don’t know why. There seems to be so many other people more needy, more worthy. I’m thinking of baby Emilio, on life support. Of all the crying, praying mothers. And perhaps because the crisis is over, and the prayers have turned to others needing urgent prayer, I feel the enemy nipping at my heels. Reminding me that I am unworthy. Making me feel that my life is pointless, I’m old and tired and ineffective in ministry. Showing me my failures, as a mother and wife and teacher. I’m still healing. I think this event will force me to get into better shape physically, life with one kidney means paying special attention to ones diet. I also think this event will cause me to be more diligent in my personal prayer life. But the foxes have gotten into the vineyard, and I’m not moving very fast these days. Perhaps, those of you who care and feel so led, could say one or two more little prayers for little old me. Just a little prayer booster. And God bless us, everyone!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

It felt so good to read your post which was fresh again with health both physically and spiritually.
I have often mentioned the workshop on the occult that you and Pastor Art did to Christians I know going through these experiences.
I'm so glad you have been healed and like you after having extraordinary answers to prayer you can't help but ask, why me?
Jesus knows best.

Anonymous said...

You are a beautiful light shining in the darkness. A light set up on a hill for all to see Jesus' love shining through you & about you & the more you sing His praises, especially when they come hard during your darker moments, the more He is glorified & the darkness quickly dispelled - therefore, PRAISE JESUS just like Paul & Silus, my beloved sister, Maryellen! Flee from the Devil & draw near to Jesus, your Lord & your God! Look into His marvelous loving face for He loves you & your holy Father sees your worth & life through Jesus' cleansing blood with adoration as you walk in His light & purpose. You are loved by us, your sisters & brothers in Christ Jesus, as well as Jesus - who is also interceeding at the right hand of the Father on your behalf & the Holy Spirit in grumbles too deep for words when we do not know how to pray as we should. No created thing can separate you & us from His love, so write us all your song of PRAISE & THANKS to glorify Him & dispell the darkness you are experiencing! Write of His faithfulness beyond measure, for we He is enthroned in the praises of His people! Write from the Scriptures & songs of praise until it freely flows forth once again. You are being covered in prayer. Thank you for crying out for prayer during this sense of oppression you are experiencing. I am so very overjoyed to cover you in prayer, my faithful & beloved sister! May you be granted His peace that surpasses understanding & His joy that is beyond measure as you sing His praises & overflow with thanksgiving! I love you & praise the Lord our God for bringing you through this illness that you may continue to glorify Him with your God given gifts of eloquence in & discernment amongst many others!

Stephanie said...

the praying hasn't ceased....

loved your post, your sincere heart
God Bless and hang in there friend!

Chris Monroe said...

I love your heart -- it comes across so beautiful and pure through what you've posted. You WILL remain in my prayers.

Blessings,

Chris

Unknown said...

God brought you to my mind today and I prayed for you and Pastor Art.

Anonymous said...

I have not stopped by in a long time and missed your post below when you had kidney surgery. I am sorry I missed that one. Glad to hear you are feeling better since then. It is interesting that I stopped by on this post. My wife (who was raised Roman Catholic) just received a book from a well meaning relative which was written by Lutherans who turned Catholic. I think some in her family believe she will be going to hell (or at least a bazillion years in purgatory) since she does not worship in a Roman Catholic church (it happens to be a Lutheran church hence the book). She chooses to worship Jesus in whatever setting she is in.

Wanderer said...

I am glad to hear that you are better. I have tried calling a couple of times, but I don't think our schedules line up well. I will be honest and say that while I hadn't gotten on line to look for a report, you were still in my prayers at the time you posted this. You were until my world shattered about two weeks later, and now I am just holding on by a string and a little too scattered to focus on anyone or anything.

The above is one of the reasons I have called over the last couple of days, and left a way for you to reach me. I wanted to inform your son, in case he remembered the individual in question or cared. It just didn't seem right to leave it hanging on an answering machine.

I am sorry, I am still not all together. Somewhere above it should indicate that I hope you are well and hope to speak to you soon.

Agent X said...

MaryEllen,

I passed through your fair city a couple of times this year and expect to do so again a couple more times this summer as I travel to Cortez to tend to my ailing mother. As I passed through town a couple of weeks ago, I noticed a handful of individuals walking along the road in the bright sun (not yet hot summer but getting there a little more each day) wearing long-sleeve black hoodies. It seems that I saw you remarking on that fashion not too long back. And when I saw this, I thought of you and this blog.

When I arrived in Cortez, I visited the local Mom-n-Pop record store, where I worked briefly as a young man and where I am old friends with the owners. While I have come to a new place in my life with God, and living in the Bible belt experiencing a different culture these days, I have a new vantage ground from which to see things. And I noted that the little store there is a major outlet for such fashions as I saw on the roadside down in Shiprock.

I have nothing against black (my personal favorit color btw) nor against the hoodies per se, I see a demonic culture ravaging young minds and lives amid these artifacts. I am not unbiased, but I have lived in that culture and now I live outside it. I have a unique vantage ground. And I am concerned too.

I am comforted knowing that You and the church are serving God in that beautiful region of God's awesome world. I take comfort knowing that as I pass through your town and mine.

Thank you for your service and committment.

Jesus is Lord!

Arthur Brokop II said...

bobbie and carmele - nice of you to comment.too bad you're both so far away or I'd have you over for ice tea...you too Stephanie!
thanks to all of you for your kind comments and prayers...Wanderer, RD says call Tuesday evening...he's been working double shifts and I've been trying to catch up for time lost and am so tired that I'm in bed early...you are in our prayers and thoughts. God bless us, everyone!

Arthur Brokop II said...

by the way Messianic Gentile, e-mail us (artandme@juno.com) the next time you are going to be in the area, and we'll give you directions to our home, stop by for some ice teach and prayer!

Agent X said...

Maryellen,

Thanx for the invitation. I will take you up on it! Going to cut-n-paste that email right now.

MG