everyone counts

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Theologians

I have spent some time this morning reading the article I posted below and the comments left on the site. I'm not sure who the author is, got the orginal link through Smart Christian. He seems to have a connection with Asbury Seminary. I was interested in the artical because it seemed to go along with my working hypothesis that the early Christians did not interpret certain passages in the same way that many modern Christians (or post modern for that matter) do. And that when in question, it is best to go back, as far to the original meaning as possible. How did 1st Century Christians understand the writings of Paul? I also discovered in my own studies that in the original languages of ancient Greek and Hebrew, there are sometimes multiple meanings of words, and it was the translator's job, through guidence of Holy Spirit, to choose when translating. Most mature Christians at least understand the LOVE thing, how there are 4 or 5 different Greek words which in English come out as LOVE. My resident theologian translated the whole book of Romans with his Greek class in 1989. The professor was a Wesleyan, Greek and Hebrew Scholar. I've taken some troublesome verses (troublesome to me), to the concordances, on line Bible sites, and my Pastor/Husband's dictionaries and have seen for myself, that if one word had been chosen over another, the message changed. It seems to me that Augustine, Calvin, and Luther's doctrines greatly influenced the theology of the translators who chose certian words that support certain doctrines.
Regardless of all that, it was nice to visit a site in which theology was being discussed by well educated individuals. I have seen first hand the dangers higher education poses to the faith of some young men and women. When it is forgetten that the "Fear of the LORD" is the beginning of Wisdom, Truth is sometimes compromised and Seminaries can become Cemitaries. However, the mandate that pastors learn Greek and Hebrew, that preachers aren't to just be prayed over, given a Bible and let go...and Sunday School classes or small groups can't just be left to the leadership of someone who "feels" called or is a willing volunteer...these seem legitimate.
This summer I have heard sermons by some very well educated, very formally educated, traditional and litergical "priests". They have been Biblically sound. A great many born again, Spirit filled, evangelical Christians would have written them off as heretics because of the style of the service, decor of the sanctuary, and name of the Church. Yet these men, and this particualar congregation reach out to the Christian community with words and gestures of peace and fellowship. Lately, as far as religion goes, I've been sitting in the shadows, listening and watching. I've worshiped on Sunday, and prayed as the sun rose, but I'm not part of a Church family, I've fallen away from fellowship with believers. I watch and I listen. I shake my head sadly at the rising fervor of those who believe rapture is closer than ever. If only rapture was true, what a sad farce that teaching is. But who am I to teach against it. I cringe everytime I hear one of those radio preachers talk about how blessed we are to be the elect, predestined for salvation, thanks be to God. It makes no sense to me at all, and seems to be a dangerous teaching...one that nearly killed me. One that I believe was partially to blame for the death of a friend last year. All part of God's perfect, predestined plan?! I visit blog sites that have blasted everyone from Graham to Dobson to Warren. I visit blog sites that condemn Roman Catholics, even self proclaimed Roman Catholics that condemn Roman Catholics. And I watch Roman Catholic teachers on TV, and Pro-Israel, Messianic Jewish teachers. And in the mornings I watch the sun rise from my porch. I pray in my classroom to the sound of Native American flutes and drums played by Native American Christians who have been told by some that such worship music is pagan. I am rambling, and I don't care. this is my site.
Don't take any of this personally.
Don't take the cross of Jesus lightly.
Fathers, your children need you.
I am feeling old and tired. I need another cup of coffee. It is a crisp autumn morning. I have faith but little hope. God bless us everyone.

10 comments:

Chris P. said...

Last Sunday morning we dedicated silversmithing, sand paintings, flutes, drums, Navajo rugs etc. etc. etc, to the Lord. All the creative arts are meant to worship the Lord.
Our pastor and most of the congeregation dressed in regalia and traditional clothing. The church was filled with people and wonderful works of art. Of course I am a mean unloving fundie/calvinist/literalist etc.
So want am I doing there?

One can study Greek and Hebrew without going to seminary.
I have no problem with debate among "men of God" since Jesus came not to bring peace, but a sword,i.e the Word.
Let all people and things be exposed for who and what they are.
Jesus did not create a pc church.
What did Jesus say to Peter "You are thinking like man, and not God"?

Chris P. said...

Wanted to also mention that I attended a worship seminar at one of our local churches. In fact I was asked to teach.

I had lunch there with Mrs. Brenner and most of the team from St.John's. Many of them attended the session I taught on the Scriptural foundations of our worship.
Imagine all the folks I am corrupting with my reformation tainted theology.

Arthur Brokop II said...

Good for you.

Arthur Brokop II said...

by the way Chris - did I identify you as one of the people against Native Worship????
believe it or not, I know a lot of other Christians and pseudo Christians besides you.
Have I ever called you a fundie, calvist,literalist etc??????
Have I ever even called you mean?
I did admit that you hurt my feelings, but also that that wasn't your fault. I was just being over sensitive at the time.
But I will say that now that I found out you were one of the teachers at the worship seminar last weekend, I'm glad I didn't talk my hubby into going. I also admit that that isn't a very nice or loving thing to say...but hey, it's my blog isn't it.

Chris P. said...

MY My
We open the door and then shut it on the foot of the person trying to enter.

Anyway he could have corrected all my bad teaching if he had come.

Overly sensitive indeed.
And yes you have more or less said all of those things about me.

It's not native worship anyway. All worship is the Lord's.

Stephanie said...

I agree with much of what you said. I, too, have an interest in translations from Greek to English. I especially love the study of of the word LOVE. I found it interesting that you chose that as your example. That study truly fascinates me. Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts about the article and what your heart is feeling. I love the way you write...it is always a pleasure to read. On a side note, I totally know what you mean about restructuring to help meet AYP....I've been there. I feel so out of place this year because I'm not teaching. We're moving to Virginia in November, so I resigned, so as not to leave two months into the school year. Didn't think that would be fair to my class. It's much harder than I thought though. I deeply miss being in the classroom and working with children. Good luck with all of the changes happening at school right now :) Praying for you friend!

Wanderer said...

Chris P. - "And yes you have more or less said all of those things about me."

More or less? I.E. admission that she did not in fact say all of these things, you just read them that way? Otherwise they wouldn't be "more or less". As such, her statement was correct, and someone besides MaryEllen here might be a little bit sensitive?

Arthur Brokop II said...

If it weren't for Stephanie, I'd think that Chris and Steve were the only ones who read my blog, and were just waiting for me to say something to start another...what should I call it?
Oh never mind...Bless you both, your comments make me smile...

Wanderer said...

I am glad my comments make you smile. As one of my professions is the spread of laughter, it is always good to see good humor thrive.

I too am glad that Stephanie comes around, as she can be supportive of you in ways I can not. Given the nature of your topics (not to belittle them, I am almost always impressed by the level of thought and faith conveyed) I frequently find little to offer, as I imagine is the case in return on my side. I have actually commented to others that if it weren't for disorganized attacks against you, I would probably find it rare that I had a reason to comment at all.

Anonymous said...

I still read ME...
I just don't have the time or energy to comment like I used to.