everyone counts

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Jesus shines brighter...

The Old and the New
Two of the songs that we sang in church Sunday spoke sweetly and deeply to this old tired heart of mine.
One was an ancient Celtic hymn. I remember the melody from my childhood:
Fairest Lord Jesus! Ruler of all nature
O Thou of God and man the Son!
Thee will I cherish, Thee will I honor
Thou, my soul’s glory, Joy and crown.
Fair are the meadows. Fairer still the woodlands
Robed in the blooming garb of spring
Jesus is fairer, Jesus is purer,
Who makes the woeful heart to sing.
Fair is the sunshine. Fairer still; the moonlight
And all the twinkling, starry host
Jesus shines brighter. Jesus shines purer
Then all the angles Heaven can boast
Beautiful savior, Lord of the nations
Son of God and Son of man.
Glory and honor, praise adoration
Now and forevermore be Thine.
The other is about 500 years newer. It is from the March for Jesus era - Shine Jesus Shine!
Lord, the light of Your love is shining - in the midst of the darkness shining,
Jesus light of the World shine upon us
Set us free by the truth You now bring us…
Lord, I come to Your Awesome presence,
From the shadows into Your radiance,
By the blood I may enter Your brightness
Search me, try me, consume all m darkness…
As we gaze on Your Kingly brightness, So our faces display Your likeness
Ever changing from glory to glory, Mirrored here may out lives tell Your Story -
Shine Jesus Shine, Fill this land with the Father’s glory
Blaze Spirit Blaze, set out hearts on fire
Flow River Flow flood the nations with grace and mercy
Send forth Your Word, Lord and let there be light.
Grahm Kendrick
Two of my favorite themes. Light shining in darkness and the glory of nature reflecting the Glory and Nature of the LORD. As I stand alone in the wilderness in a soothing down pour, gazing at a full Rainbow stretching across the sky, with flashes of lightning under the arc, I understand glory. Glory to You oh LORD. As I sit under the shade of an ancient tree, growing along side a rushing river, I understand blessings (Psalm 1), and I pray that the LORD will make those I love like tree growing along side streams of water. Flow River, Flow.
School starts soon. I’m getting my room ready. I will be anointing it with oil and praying today. May the light of Jesus shine through me. May Jesus, light of the World shine upon my students as the light of the rising son fills my room. Yes and Amen.

No comments: