everyone counts

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Acts 17

There are a lot of “sermons” in Acts 17.
We see Paul going into the synagogues on the Sabbaths and reasoning from the Scriptures, explaining and demonstrating that Jesus was the Christ.
We see jealous Jews making the declaration that Paul and his teachings about Jesus “turned the world upside down.”
We have Berea, where the fair-minded Bereans received the Word and searched the Scriptures to find out whether these things were so.
And then Paul goes to Athens, where he is very disturbed with the idol worship he sees going on there.
And the philosophers, for which Athens was famous, asked him “May we know what this new doctrine is of which you speak?” (v19)
These were “religious” men. And they wanted to hear what Paul had to say.
In verses 24 to 31 Paul explains to them who GOD is. Today as I read it, I find it curious that in this presentation of his Gospel, Paul does not mention Jesus by name, referring to Him as “the Man whom He has ordained .” (the predestined one?).
Proof that the story is true - The Resurrection (which the Greeks had a hard time accepting).
Verse 30 is interesting. “Truly these times of ignorance God overlooked.” Reference Romans 3
v. 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God…25 because of His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed.
My favorite part of this chapter, the part that I find very important these days, and highly debated in some circles is in verses 26 - 27
“And He has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings. So that they should seek the LORD in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him though He is not far from each of us.”
Do I believe in predestination? I believe that our Sovereign God has appointed/planned for seasons, times, major events. I believe that at Babel when God created different nations and cultures by creating different languages He had a plan as to what part of this vast globe they were to settle. The thing is though, that the Bible narrowed it’s focus to one nation, one people group, one family. Abraham through whom all Nations would be blessed. That doesn’t mean that God was not with the other people in the world. That doesn’t mean He was not dealing with them. Loving them. Providing for them. He was not far from any of His people, He is not far from any of His people. All people. The people He created to Seek Him.
Here is a statement that some one made somewhere, to me, because I questioned his use of the word “religion”.
“By religion here I am referring to ways man seeks (at varying levels) to become right with God because intrinsically he knows he is alienated from God and feels he must "do" something.
The Christian faith is the opposite; it is God Who sought His children, so it is not a religion. We did nothing, and the truth is we could have done nothing. Romans 5:6 tells us - You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. “
I agree with the first part, that man seeks to become right with God because intrinsically he knows he is alienated from God…I do not accept what he says about The Christian faith. We do do something. We hear the word and we choose to believe. Believing is something we do. We are saved by faith. God freely offers us salvation. He gives us grace to believe. A free gift which we are free to accept or reject. It is offered to all men because God’s will is that all men are saved. We are saved by faith, not works. But faith without works is dead and dead faith does not save. As Christians we are told to go and make disciples. We are told to teach them to obey the commandment of Jesus, to do what He told us to do. To Love.
I’m tired, it’s been another long exhausting week of traveling and training and testing. It’s a beautiful day. The trees and other green things are rejoicing because of the long steady rain that fell in this desert this week. I saw a glorious rainbow yesterday on my way home from Albuquerque. I’ve written enough today. Blessings all.
maryellen

7 comments:

Wanderer said...

An interesting chapter, particularly given this particular forum within which we have these conversations. After all, it references Paul spending time talking with people, and not just the Jews about the teachings he had learned. Much as we have going on here. Right down to the occasional agitators that raise their ugly heads from time to time.

Hegemon said...

I didn't do anything.

Arthur Brokop II said...

very funny mc - you ugly agitator you! but if you are refering to C.P., I always thought he was kind of cute.

Wanderer said...

Why does everybody assume I have a problem with C.P.? He honestly hadn't come to mind, although he does stir up the conversation sometimes. The primary person in mind was that guy from a few months ago that posted all the anti-semitic stuff, and the general anonymous posts that pop up claiming anything from minor mistakes to heresy.

I love the conversations with C.P. Personally I have to say that the vehemence with which he places himself at odds with me brightens my day.

Chris P. said...

Wandere
I am glad that I amuse you!!

As for Acts 17. I find it interesting that of all the evangelistic efforts recorded in Acts, this is the least successful. This is also the defining Scripture used by all that is emergent and liberal to support contextualized evangelism, which I separate from contextualized worship and meeting by believers. Nuff said!

We do nothing to receive salvation, but believe it. The work of a follower of Christ begins after believing by faith.
Abraham is the father of all who believe by faith therefore Israel is comprised of Jews and gentiles. (Romans 9-10-11) Abraham was not hebrew. God's plan from the start was to call out a poeple from every tribe, tongue, and nation.
The "elect" are all who have been elected by God both Jew and Greek.
Abraham was called out by God he did not seek the Lord on his own, and then decide to go to Hebron.

Arthur Brokop II said...

i'm not sure the event in Athens was the least successful, but it wasn't one to brag about. still the gospel and the lesson is valid.
i would pose this common, youth group type story to illustrate whether believing is doing something. Remember that the Word says even the devils believe that Jesus is LORD. This famous circus performer - tight rope walker prepares to walk across Niagra Falls. He askes his audience,
"Do you believe I can do it?"
"Yes" they cheer.
"Do you believe I could do it with some one on my shoulders?"
"Yes" they cheer.
"Who will climb on my shoulders then, and go with me?"
The crowd is silent.
"Would some one join me for $100?"
Still no takers.
"for $1000"
no takers.
"Does no one believe in me enough to go with me?"
"I will" says his young daughter.
And she does.
True faith is nothing, unless it is something you act upon.

Wanderer said...

Chris P. - "We do nothing to receive salvation, but believe it. The work of a follower of Christ begins after believing by faith."

Please explain this better to me, for on surface it seems contradictory. We do nothing to receive salvation but believe, but there is work that begins after believing? That work, then, doesn't count? Why would you do it then?