everyone counts

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Show Me - Let Me See

Exodus 33:18
And Moses said "Please show me your glory."
Several months ago, a friend of mine heard a teaching on 2Kings 2:19-22

Ki 2:19 And the men of the city said unto Elisha, Behold, I pray thee, the situation of this city is pleasant, as my lord seeth: but the water is naught, and the ground barren.
2Ki 2:20 And he said, Bring me a new cruse, and put salt therein. And they brought it to him.
2Ki 2:21 And he went forth unto the spring of the waters, and cast the salt in there, and said, Thus saith the LORD, I have healed these waters; there shall not be from thence any more death or barren land.
2Ki 2:22 So the waters were healed unto this day, according to the saying of Elisha which he spake.


There are a lot of desert passages, dry and barren land promises, that are easy to apply to this place where I am currently planted. My friend wanted more than to hear these words and apply the promise to her home land, she wanted to DO them.
James 1:22. So she called some trusted friends, Pastor Art and I among them, and down to the San Juan River we went.

That night, I was greatly disturbed by a news report concerning a young Native American student, on a reservation far to the north, who had shot up his school. He and his victims were the same age as my students. I was crying out to the LORD for his sake and the sake of his community. I was crying for my own students and my own community. I wrote in my prayer journal, "Oh Lord, I need to feel your presence, I need to see Your Glory, please show me you glory."

The next day, late in the afternoon, as we were driving into town we saw an incredible rainbow. Vibrant colors against a dark sky. It stretched out before us like a gate, and it extended into the river, at the very place where we had prayed the day before. I grabbed my prayer journal to record this beautiful sight, and there, just above where I started to write were the words
"please show me Your Glory."

One time a friend of mine said, "Maryellen, sometimes a rainbow is just a rainbow." Well not that time.
We just saw another rainbow a few days ago. Ah, the heavens and earth declare His Glory!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

very nice post. Rainbows so show God's glory and mercy on us

Arthur Brokop II said...

there are very few rainbows in a land where there is no rain...

Wanderer said...

"there are very few rainbows in a land where there is no rain... "

Not true. I imagine cars leak oil and gas out there too. Go to a parking lot, with the right timing, you can see a rainbow.

Arthur Brokop II said...

true Liz,
ha ha Wanderer...
I can make one when I water my roses too!