everyone counts

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Hebrews vs Romans

So, the Bible Study I like to visit is studying the book of Hebrews. Who do YOU think wrote it? I can go with the flow over there. One chapter or one concept at a time. But I’ll probably read ahead.

And one of my blog mates got me back into the book of Romans, by once again touching on the topic I love to hate – the foreknowledge of our Sovereign God. He mentioned Romans 9:17, but I hate just looking at one verse, so I read the whole chapter, but even that is out of context, so I read Chapter 8 too, and now I realize I need to reread the whole book.

Pastor Art translated Romans when he was in college. If my old memory serves me right, his professor was a Messianic Jewish Free Methodist.

The thing is, that with a professor of that description, and looking deeply into the original language (ancient Greek), Pastor Art got a different perspective on the book. He also got one of his few A’s in that class. So when I get stuck in Romans, I usually ask him.

But I don’t want to get lost in the “What does this say?” vs “What does this mean?” mire. I like to use Bible Gateway because I can look as so many different versions. I can even use it at school, when I get a break. I confess that I approach this particular topic with the thought “it doesn’t mean what everyone thinks it means…what does it really mean.”

Anyway, I have something to keep me busy the next few days at least.

5 comments:

Wanderer said...

Oh dear. Foreknowledge again? Do you ever wonder if God observes these debates while shaking his head and lamenting, "Why can't they accept that I have it under control and leave it at that?"

Unknown said...

Wanderer,

I suppose we can't leave it at that because depending on where we leave
"it" determines how much responsibility and accountability we take for some of our actions. It is sort of the flip side (yes, pun intended!) of the old Flip Wilson routine where he said, "The devil made me do that."

~Kevin

Arthur Brokop II said...

It occurs to me, after discussing the subject of Romans with Pastor Art over morning coffee, that most of what Paul was saying could be broken into three basic comments:
1. God was accepting the gentiles so get over it.
2. Don't let the Jewish Christians talk you gentiles into getting circumsised, it's the heart not the...that counts.
3. Just because you're saved by grace doesn't mean you can go around doing what ever you want.

Wanderer said...

Kjkeb & Pastor Art - God is still quite unfathomable by our minds. Wouldn't the safer side be to live your life like it was your choice, and He didn't know what you would choose? Take responsibility for yourself and your fellow man on your own shoulders, and if it turns out it wasn't your fault or your choice, your intent was still to tow the line? We run frequently into the "fate" debate as well, and it is truly complicated. Still, try taking responsibility. If you can and need to, you have it covered. If you can't, God obviously has it covered. This is why I ask if it matters.

Given the theology I have offered thus far, surely you realize that I understand the responsibility issue? This is what I am getting at. Why don't we work a little bit harder at fixing up our fellow man, and less at fixing up God. I think He's okay without our help.

Wanderer said...

It still boils down to question, do we have a choice or not? Is this a question we need to answer? Sure it can be fun to debate, but no, we don't. Why?

Imagine it a simple matter of a door. Some walk through it, some don't. Even though all know there is a wondrous land just on the other side of it. Some believe they have a choice whether they go through, and an impact on the outcome. Some don't.

What is the sensible way to go about this then? Try to go through the door. Try to do what it takes. Because if it is out of your hands, the trying doesn't hurt you any. If it is in your hands, it will help.

On the flip side, a lack of trying, if it is out of your control doesn't hurt you. A lack of trying if it is in your control does.

Obvious solution? Act as though it is a variable, just in case it is. The rest of the debate is good for nothing but debate, because ultimately the same conclusion should be reached. We must act as if it is.