everyone counts

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Sorrow

Yeah, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.
Another young life gone. He was at our school last year. He was in the high school this year.
He had been in just a couple of my classes before he was transfered to another sped. program.
He'd been missing since January 23. He was found across the highway from our school. His body was in pretty bad shape. No details are known yet.
I love my job. I love my kids. I look at them and realized, it could have been anyone of them.
I look at them and think, will one of them be next? I look at them and I prayer, harder than I have ever prayed before.
My life is a mess...emotionally, financially, and the enemy is attacking, no holds barred at my spirit.
One of my morning time radio preachers was talking about predestination this morning. I turned him off. I think, God never forsakes His elect, and I look at circumstances, and come to school and find out about this young man's death...and then one of my students brings me a coke, and a couple of parents come in and thank me for helping their son. And the room is calm, and I sigh, I write, I say...The Lord is my Shepherd
And I remember to pray, I choose to pray, I have to pray...

9 comments:

Grey Owl said...

Geez... I can't imagine what it must be like to work in your community. You're on all our hearts, as is the boy's family.

Kim said...

so sad, maryellen. I'll be praying for you, for the boy's family, for the ones who did him harm.

wellis68 said...

So sorry to hear that Maryellen. We'll be praying for you. I pray that you'll find great peace in the steadfastness of God's love and His promises.

Stephanie said...

I am sorry about your former student...as mentioned before, I can't imagine what that is like. My students are so much younger and it pains me to know what they face in Jr. High and High School. I pray that they are strong enough. The last line of your post was put so nicely and has been the theme of my life, especially since Tuesday, when I received a new student. He's a handful and the only way I've been able to make it through the day is with prayer. "I need to pray, I choose to pray. I have to pray..."

Unknown said...

You are in my prayers today. I know full well what the public schools are like. I used to be a "guest reader" in my kids classes when they were younger and still in public school. That was over 10 years ago. I can't imagine what it must be like today.

We all need to hold our Christian school teachers up in prayer.

~Kevin

Wanderer said...

"We all need to hold our Christian school teachers up in prayer."

Why the distinction? Do we not pray then for the non-christian school teachers?

Arthur Brokop II said...

of course you are right Wanderer...
and I'm sure that Kevin agrees...actually the "non"christian teachers need more prayer don't they guys? Where is their hope and comfort if not in Christ?
also, I'm not sure the public schools are so much worse than the Christan Schools, and I've taught at both.
Sometimes Christian's are good at hiding things that are more blatent at the Public Schools, but that doesn't mean they aren't there, under the surface, ready to explode.

Unknown said...

I guess I'll have to choose my words more carefully.

Maryellen, you are correct, I meant all teachers. But, I am perhaps a little more fervent in prayer for you today given the circumstances.

~Kevin

Arthur Brokop II said...

And many thanks for you fervent prayers.