everyone counts

Friday, December 02, 2005

God Bless Us Everyone

Good Ol' Tiny Tim!
I have quite a collection of "Christmas Carols". From the Muppets to Jean Luc Picard. Gotta love that story! God bless! Ever wonder what that means? To be blessed by God?
Without going into the Hebrew and Greek...Pastor Art is in bed with the flu and it's way too early for good ol' Strongs, I would say that to be blessed by God would be to become like a tree!
I went to bed last night thinking about Psalm 1. Acutally I was thinking about a comment made in here somewhere, that I had NO Scriptual support for the theological/doctrinal position I take on some matters, that I was just clinging to my feelings about what I think God should be...like some silly woman I guess. No, he didn't exactly call me a silly woman...but you get the gist of it.
Actually, I know quite a lot about the Scriptures. I've had a lot of good teachings both in and out of college. It wasn't a Bible College, it was a private, liberal arts, Free Methodist college. But I digress.
Psalm 1.
As I was going to bed, wondering where I should start to explain Biblically and support through Scripture my stand, it came to mind, that just using the psalms I could explain the whole thing. But then again that's not my job or my purpose for this blog. Pastor Art does a better job with that anyway, and we pretty much agree with this kind of stuff only I am usually a little softer/nicer. Feelings - like some silly old woman.
Ugg. I can't seem to stay on Topic this morning.
Psalm 1. Most traditional and accepted translations start out with a negitive qualifier. Blessed is the man who does not... I happen to have the CEV at my elbow this morning and it's verse one is written in the positive. "God blesses those people who...
refuse evil advice and won't follow sinners or join in sneering at God"
Here is one of those choice issues. Do people have a choice who they hang out with? Ever been told to choose your friends wisely? Psalm 1 basically says, stay away from the wicked, sinners, scoffers. Rather delight in the Word of the Lord. Meditate on it. And you will be blessed. You will be "like a tree". One could do a whole Sunday School Series on the passages in the Scriptures about trees.
"Sinners won't have an excuse on the day of judgement...The Lord protects everyone who follows Him, but the wicked follow a road that leads to ruin." v. 5-6
If/then - Refuse and Delight or Scoff and Burn...I like thinking about the trees better.
Anyway - God Bless Us Everyone.
Make us like trees that stand tall and bear much fruit. T'is the season after all.

5 comments:

Arthur Brokop II said...

naughty me...I just made a rather rude and sarcastic comment on Chris' site...I'll pray for forgiveness as I drive into the glorious sunrise, but I won't delete it.

Chris P. said...

That's ok Maryellen.
Everyone should know by now that I am impervious to sarcasm and/or name calling. I never worry how people view me either way as that does not accurately define who I am.

Chris P. said...

John2:

24But Jesus on his part did not entrust himself to them, because he knew all people 25and needed no one to bear witness about man, for he himself knew what was in man.

Btw, I won't delete it either.

tacobell said...

Are you comparing yourself to Jesus??? LOL!!!

Arthur Brokop II said...

I'm not sure exactly what Chris is getting at with that verse. i've read it in a few versions and within context. It says Jesus knew all people, of course He did, He created them. He knew what was in man. Ofcourse He did, he looks into our hearts and watches our lives. It does not say, in this particular reference, that He knows what will happen, what will be in their hearts.CEV "No one had to tell Him what people were like. He already knew."