everyone counts

Thursday, August 18, 2005

From my friend DJ

Rose.......
The first day of school our professor introduced himself and challenged
us
to get to know someone we didn't already know. I stood up to look
around
when a gentle hand touched my shoulder

I turned around to find a wrinkled, little old lady beaming up at me
with
a smile that lit up her entire being.

She said, "Hi handsome. My name is Rose.

I'm eighty-seven years old. Can I give you a hug?"

I laughed and enthusiastically responded, "Of course you may!" and she
gave me a giant squeeze.

"Why are you in college at such a young, innocent age?" I asked.

She jokingly replied, "I'm here to meet a rich husband, get married,
and
have a couple of kids..."

"No seriously," I asked. I was curious what may have motivated her to
be taking on this challenge at her age.

"I always dreamed of having a college education and now I'm getting
one!" she told me.

After class we walked to the student union building and shared a
chocolate milkshake.

We became instant friends. Every day for the next three months we would
leave class together and talk nonstop. I was always mesmerized
listening to this "time machine" as she shared her wisdom and experience with me.

Over the course of the year, Rose became a campus icon and she easily
made friends wherever she went.
She loved to dress up and she reveled in the attention bestowed upon
her from the other students. She was living it up.
At! the end of the semester we invited Rose to speak at our footballbanquet.

I'll never forget what she taught us. She was introduced and stepped
up tothe podium As she began to deliver her prepared speech, she dropped her
three by five cards on the floor.
Frustrated and a little embarrassed she leaned into the microphone and
simply said, "I'm sorry I'm so jittery. I gave up beer for Lent and
this whiskey is killing me! I'll never get my speech back in order so let me
just tell you what I know."
(this cracked me up!)
As we laughed she cleared her throat and began,
"We do not stop playing
because we are old; we grow old because we stop playing.
There are only four secrets to staying young, being happy, and
achieving success. You have to laugh and find humor every day. You've got to have
a dream. When you lose your dreams, you die.
We have so many people walking around who are dead and don't even know it!
There is a huge difference between growing older and growing up.
If you are nineteen years old and lie in bed for one full year and don't
do one productive thing, you will turn twenty years old. If I am
eighty-seven years old and stay in bed for a year and never do anything
I will turn eighty-eight.
Anybody can grow older. That doesn't take any talent or ability. The
idea is to grow up by always finding opportunity in change. Have no regrets.
The elderly usually don't have regrets for what we did, but rather for
things we did not do. The only people who fear death are those with
regrets."
She concluded her speech by courageously singing "The Rose."
She challenged each of us to study the lyrics and live them out in our
daily lives.
At the year's end Rose finished the college degree she had begun all
those years ago.
One week after graduation Rose died? peacefully in her sleep.
Over two thousand college students attended her funeral in tribute to
the wonderful woman who taught by example that it's never too late to be
all you can possibly be.
These words have been passed along in loving memory of ROSE.
REMEMBER, GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY. GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL.
We make a Living by what we get, We make a Life by what we give.

God promises a safe landing, not a calm passage. If God brings you to
it, He will bring you through it.

Have a blessed day dear blog friends, by the way, there is a very interesting debate going on on The Reformation blog (see my links cuz I don't know how to put links in my text).

19 comments:

tacobell said...

Mary Ellen : heres a link to answer your questions on the Apocrypha.
http://ic.net/~erasmus/RAZ110.HTM

I hope that this will help. That thing before erasmus is the squiggle next to the 1.
Let me know what you think. I'm staying off Chris' blog because he tends to rip me to shreds and I don't want him to have to pay for his unkindness.
Bridget

tacobell said...

Oh BTW - I really liked the story- there is a lot to think about in it!!

Chris P. said...

I wonder if Christ had to pay for violently throwing out the money changers?

Arthur Brokop II said...

chris, stop being rude to bridget on my blog...
since you two can't "play nice" it's best to leave each other alone.
excuse me while I go watch Pope Benedict on TV
hey, you two agree on something.
neither of you believe that he has any spiritual authority...
forgive me...it's late

tacobell said...

Oh Chris- heard you on Crosstalk yesterday. If I didn't know you were so rude, I almost would have thought you were a nice person. Funny- you can fool a lot of people but you cannot fool God.

Wanderer said...

Bridget,

This is how you repay MaryEllen's kindness in requiring of Chris that he "play nice". Insulting her by jumping on him again?

I understand that all of these different denominations are at each other's throats all the time, but can't you come up with an international "all followers of Christ get along day"? Or would agreeing on which day to hold it on be too logistical?

Arthur Brokop II said...

thanks wanderer, and I would ask Chris and Bridget to notice that your words of wisdom are from a "pagan" point of view. is it any wonder why Christ's church is so impotent? His message is love and we can't treat each other with loving respect...oh but it's so easy to say, I don't have to behave lovingly towards him/her/them...they aren't really saved.
yeah, I know, rebuke them before they burn...

tacobell said...

Mary Ellen and Wanderer: You are absolutely right. Would you please accept my apology. Chris, I am sorry for treating you in an unchristian manner. Fortunately, I'm going to confession tomorrow so I will clear it up with God as well.
I promise that I will never attack Chris personally- now I do have to defend the faith but I will not attack you as a person.
BTW, you did do a nice job on Crosstalk (even if I didn't understand what you were talking about!)
God love you.Thanks MaryEllen for putting up with me!

IMO said...

Hey Maryellen, that was a great story and so true. I've been struggling with going back to school think about how old I will be when I finish and trying to figure out how I can even start now with my children and all their activities. That helped me. Thanks for the plug, but I think that maybe doing the right thing makes you loose a lot of people. They all seem to have scattered. Maybe it will give me more time to think about school: Oh for those interested, it is: lighthousenetwork.blogspot.com Thanks Mary Ellen for your great heart!

IMO said...

Oh, when you are in compose mode on your blog, hightlight the text that you want to link and then click on the little "chain link" button at the top of the compose toolbar. Then past the html which would be: http://lighthousenetwork.blogspot.com or whatever other link you want... DONE Whalah! Let me know how it goes.

Chris P. said...

The point is someone paid the price for me already; that is for my actual sins. Let us not confuse tolerance with love. They are not the same thing.
Christ's message:
The gate is narrow, few enter in.
Repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand. etc.

Arthur Brokop II said...

hey, if we call hate intolerance than we are ok, because even though hate is wrong intolerance is not wrong, because tolerance means accepting everything no matter what, and we can't do that???
does intolerance have to be rude?
i don't mind comments from Chris and Bridget, infact i appreciate them, but i'm glad that broadhead guy went away...he hurt my feelings...
God love ya!

tacobell said...

Chris: I am confused by your post. Does this mean that you can sin and not say you are sorry because Christ paid for your sins on the cross? I hope not. Actual sins are the ones you "actually" commit every day and we must confess them.

Chris P. said...

because tolerance means accepting everything no matter what, and we can't do that???

No we can't.

Bridget
Of course I confess my sins everyday that is when I need to. Since when is strongly disagreeing with someone or some philosophy a sin? That is my point. We can see where tolerance leads. Find the verses that say we are supposed to tolerate every idea and opininon out there. How about where the Lord actually tolerates everything?
Not only do we use the Word to test the philosophies, it must be used to see if the idea is even worth hearing or discussing.

Arthur Brokop II said...

Chris and Bridget - go fight in your own yards...
just kidding :)

Chris P. said...

What was wrong with my previous comment here? It was straight forward and polite.

Arthur Brokop II said...

nothing was wrong with either of your comments, Chris - Bridget
but...I am a little tired of the Catholic, anti Catholic, Pre vatican II, reformed type debate.
especially since I don't agree totally with any of the sides. By the way, I don't totally disagree with any of the sides either. It's just making me dizzy. Sorry, can't allow myself to be any more dizzy than I already am...
I didn't mean to offend!

Chris P. said...

This comment had nothing to do with the RC. I actually respondede to yours re: tolerance and to hers re: sin issues.

Arthur Brokop II said...

ok, ok, I take it back!