everyone counts

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Meditation

In the King James Version, the one I read when I can't find my glasses, Psalm 143:5 says: I remember the days of old; I meditate on all thy works; I muse on the work of thy hands. Meditate? Muse?
Some groups of believers (at least they claim to be believers) are looking to the ancients, to the traditions of eastern mystics, to something other than the styles and methods of the western church to understand the mystery of meditation.
To others the very word "meditation" sets of the "new age" alarm.
The Contemporary English Version leaves out the words meditate and muse and simply says: "I remember to think about the many things you did in years gone by" In the Message, a favorite of the postmodern camp, it reads: I remembered the old days, went over all you've done, pondered the ways you've worked." What about the NIV, there has to be an NIV in here somewhere...ah yes, "I remember the days of long ago; I meditate on all your works and consider what your hands have done." Consider instead of Muse. I like the words meditate and muse. My favorite Bible teacher in college, back in the 80's, recommended the New American Standard, as being most faithful to the original languages. In this case it reads almost the same as the KJV, except it uses the word doings instead of works. And the NAS study Bible at my left hand has references to the original meanings of the words meditate and muse...according to good ol' Strongs. Meditate means to murmur in pleasure or anger, imagine, mourn, mutter...sort of like a mantra...it definatly implies speaking of some kind. Muse means to ponder, to converse with ones self, to declare, to pray. David, who I will assume wrote this particular Psalm, spent a good deal of his time out doors. Many of the psalms are pastoral in that they have to do with God's glory as reflected in creation. In Psalm 143 the author is not only remembering the mighty deeds that God had performed in the past, the great signs and wonders, the many victories against all odds, but he is pondering on the beauty, the wonder, of creation..."the works of thy hands"
Which reminds me of Romans 1:20 "for the invisible things of Him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eteranl power and Godhead..."KJV
One thing I notice here, is that meditation means to think about, speak about, may I say, focus on the works of God, and the deeds of God. It does not mean to empty ones mind, but rather to fill it with the wonderful things of God.
It seems appropriate and understandable, that one might feel closer to God outside, by a stream, in the mountains, even in the desert (Psalm 143:6 - I stretch forth my hands unto thee: my soul thirseth after thee as a thrist land)
than in a church building. What happens in most church services that I attend does not provide any time for meditation or musing. Even the time at the alter is surrounded by music and other peoples' voices. I think people who talk about meditation are looking for quiet times. And I think that in the noisy world we live in, people are seeking a way to quiet their minds and souls long enough to focus on God. It is a skill we might have to learn, since in this postmodern world that we are living in, quiet is a rare thing. And some people are asking the ancients to teach them since the moderns don't even seem to understand the concept. So, light a candle, sit by a fountain, walk along a brook, or in a garden...and remember, meditate, muse on the Glory and Goodness of our LORD God. Do not seek to be empty, but rather seek to be filled. Seek and ye shall find!

1 comment:

Rob said...

This is really good stuff, Maryellen. Thanks for posting it, and for all your research into it.

This kind of meditating is so biblical that I have a hard time believing anyone could be suspicious of it!