everyone counts

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Interesting Question????

One of those radio Bible teachers said this morning that Romans was written to correct James, but that some people think that James was written to correct Romans. And I think that if it is between Paul and James, I would go with the brother of Jesus who knew Him his whole life...but if I use my puzzle illustration, if there appears to be a contradiction - I know there are no true contradictions, but there are several apparent contradictions, then we must search for the pieces that tie it all together. Maybe that is where I'll go for the next few days. This morning I read The Lamentations Chapters 3,4,5...poor Jeremiah! I'm "reduced" to the KJV because my glasses broke and it's the only large print I have. I "sang" 3:22,23 I like 3:26 "It is good that a man should both hope and quiety wait for the salvation of the LORD." But the book ends so sadly " But Thou hast utterly rejected us, thou are very wroth against us" 5:22
I'm glad the whole Bible doesn't end that way. Off to work I go! 36 hours until summer vacation!!!! I love being a teacher....

4 comments:

Rob said...

James and Romans correcting each other? That's really funny!! :)

I guess you'd have to think that the Holy Spirit changed His mind, or was perhaps confused when He inspired both James and Paul when they wrote their epistles!

What were the specific areas of contradiction that this radio guy was bringing up? I'd be interested in hearing which ones, so I could have a look for myself.

Arthur Brokop II said...

robby,
mainly the faith issue...
salvation by faith alone and faith without works is dead.
It had a great deal to do with santification and justification with a little predestination and election thrown in for emphasis.

Rob said...

Without being overly reductionistic, and I really have studied this question more than once (my Bible college was mostly Arminian and my seminary was hyper-Calvinist), I have learned to be content with living in the tension between the two.

Is God totally sovereign? Absolutely.

Do we have a free will and therefore responsibility? Absolutely.

How do these two co-exist? Better theologians than I have been unable to reconcile this. I will content myself with trusting in His sovereignty and choosing (of my own free will) to deny myself and take up my cross daily as I follow Jesus.

When I get to heaven, it'll all make sense, although I suspect we won't be as worried about theology when we are finally in His presence!

Arthur Brokop II said...

we agree