everyone counts

Friday, April 29, 2005

Why Pray?

why pray?
i'm not kidding, will someone out there tell me...why pray?
i am praying for the impossible. i know it is impossible. i am praying sincerely, and urgently, and scriptually, but i know it is impossible. the answer will be "i love you my child...but" the answer will be "with God, nothing is impossible...but" i hate buts.
i know this sounds like i am not praying with faith, but i have prayed with faith before, and still the answer is not "yes and amen" but rather "sorry, NO"
ok, so i went to bed depressed and i woke up depressed, and i will go to work and do my teacher thing, and that's good, and at the end of this day i will get to hug my grandchildren...
there is this ray of hope at the end of this dark tunnel, but it is too good to believe in, we Americans say, if it is too good to be true, it probably isn't...and the main thing, the BIG thing, the painful thing...for that thing there is no hope, except that God can and will do the impossible...I wish this was as simple as a question of life and death...facing death wouldn't be as bad as this...oh how i wish i could just crawl up on my daddy's lap (abba, father) and cry.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I don't want to sound trite or anything, but one of my favorite books discusses this question. It's called "The God Who Hears" by W. Bingham Hunter. It is one I read and re-read especially during the times I wonder if He really does hear...

Uncle Fatso said...

That a funny question I just happened across...I've been pondering this for the last two weeks! I'll post one thing I've just realized in relation to our prayers (why pray? what's the purpose?) When Jesus stands at the door and knocks, those of us who open the door and dine with him are gifted with becoming his disciples, as well we are given a spirit of adoption and co-inheritors. That gives us a co-responsiblity as Mediators or Intercessors...

This is just a quick summary of what I've been learning, and it's really defining a specific roll of praying..