everyone counts

Friday, March 25, 2005

The God of Glory Thunders

The Word of God describes the voice of God in three ways that I can recall. As thunder, the God of Glory Thunders, and as many waters (Psalm 29 and Revelation 14) and as a still quiet voice First Kings 19. Today, in my small part of the world, the God of Glory is thundering. Unlike some people who find this type of violent weather frightening, I find a sort of peace in the midst of the storm. I wish I was able to interpret the words contained in the rumbling and cracking of the thunder. I was thinking, perhaps, on the sea of Galilee, when the storm arose that caused the brave fishermen to tremble, perhaps the triune Godhead was having a converstion. God the Father was the Thunder, The Holy Spirit was the Strong Wind, as in Acts 2, and Jesus, the Light of the World could have been putting in his two cents (mites)as an occassional bolt of lightning. Was Jesus surprised, or perhaps disappointed that this frightened his 12 so badly. Peace, be still...and oh you of little faith. One more thought before I get on with my day.
Tuesday evening I was feeling very burdened because of the shooting in Minn. I teach young people very much like the young man who did the shooting, and the victims. Same age, same profile...and as I cried out for the victims and for my own students who are so angry and so lost (see my Greensleeves poem). The tears were flowing freely as I drove through my community.
And in my prayer journal I wrote "Jesus, the beginner and completer of faith - Jesus the way and the truth - and Your message to me is do not grow weary, do not lose heart, do not be discouraged...God I long to see your glory. The next day He answered my prayer, and I nearly missed it until I re-read my Journal two days later. My husband put part of Wednesday's journal entry on our ministries blog (Gateway of the Rock), and I don't want to post it again. Just to note, rainbows are never just rainbows...YHWH is a God of Glory!

No comments: