everyone counts

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

She Put Them Under Her Pillow

I struck up a conversation with one of the custodians at my school a few months back. She was anxious because her daughter, expecting her second baby, was over due. When she was out of work a few days, I surmised that the little one had finally arrived. And when I found out it was a little girl, I put together a gift bag of hand knit booties, a blanket and sweater and brought it to school. I hadn‘t done the knitting. Some blessed women, from another state sent a bunch of such cozy items to the mission. We still haven’t built up a very large congregation. Some people still believe the place to be abandoned. But I’m not going to just let those donations sit and collect dust. I told the grandma the gift was from our church. A few weeks later I was given a thank you card and small gift bag from the baby’s shower. Then she brought the little family in to meet me. Three generations. Proud Grandma, Stoic Mother, beautiful baby girl with thick black hair and bright eyes. And, hiding behind grandma was a cute little, barely three year old sister. So another gift box came. More donations to the Indian Mission. This time there were several pairs of children’s shoes, and some brand new socks. Sometimes new babies get all the attention, so I decided that a nice new pair of shoes and socks might be a nice gift for big sister.
I checked with grandma first. I didn’t want to offend them. Then I put together another gift bag, with the shoes, socks, and a little story book. Yesterday Grandma told me that the shoes were a little big, growing room, and that the little girl was so excited about them that she insisted upon sleeping with them under her pillow.
The 7th grade English teacher had the students write a journal entry about a gift they received that they didn’t like. Most of the class was pretty confused. A gift they didn’t like? How could there be such a thing? Give thanks with a grateful heart! Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving!

No comments: