everyone counts

Monday, July 23, 2007

Monday Morning

This morning I got up early and walked the land. It was still dark and pretty quiet. I turned on the lights in the Church so perhaps the commuters would take note. After the walk, I sat in front of the ministry complex and waited for the sun to rise. I can see the hospital to the east and the airport to the north. People coming and going. And I pray. My prayer for the ministry, for The Free Methodist Church at Farmington and for the Brokop family is wisdom, provision, and shalom. But this morning I pray for mercy. And I sing “Refiner’s Fire”. I pray for angels to watch over this place, to encamp around it. I open the Bible, the Contemporary English Version today, to Psalm 142 and read “I pray to you, LORD. I beg for mercy. I tell you all of my worries and my troubles and whenever I feel low, you are there to guide me.” One time, about 9 years ago, when we were living in the little building in the back, the building called the dorm, where our son is staying until he can get a place of his own, a stranger came knocking on our door. We could tell he wasn’t trouble, because old Bear, the mission dog (may he rest in peace) wasn’t barking at him. He came in, for a cup of coffee and in our conversation he said something I have never forgotten. He said pastors shouldn’t be so occupied with counting the sheep. Pastors who count the sheep end up falling asleep. Instead, pastors should be about feeding the sheep. That makes sense. Only I wonder about the lost sheep. Those wandering in the dark. If we don’t count the sheep, how do we know whose missing? There were only 8 of us in church this week. The enemy is whispering in my ears the words of David in psalm 142:4
“see, look, you won’t find anyone who cares enough to walk beside you…no one who really cares.” But I will sing out the hymns that come to my heart as I walk the land - Trust and Obey, Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus, and On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand. And I go back to verse three of Psalm 142 - whenever I feel low, you are there to guide me. Yes and Amen. It’s just 6:30 now. I’m gonna have a cup of coffee and go pull weeds. This place needs a lot of work.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Before leaving an email I like to check your blog. Can't get more recent than TODAY.
I prayed a lot yesterday for your service and all that has to do with your church. I want you to minister a long, long time or perhaps the Holy Spirit is impressing on me that you will be ministering there a long, long time. Not sure which or maybe both are true.
Remember too we always have the spiritual warfare in our life that we sometimes are not even aware of. This church and this ministry is a great blow to the enemy.
Let's enjoy this "honeymoon" period in the life of this ministry and just keep praising and rejoicing! I know you are.
Love
Bobbie

bridget said...

Hi MaryEllen- what is a "free Methodist"? Never heard of that one!

Arthur Brokop II said...

Free Methodists are Wesleyans - less liberal, more fundemental than United Methodists. The result of a church split about 150 years ago that had to do with the slavery issue. See my next post.