everyone counts

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Forgiveness and Queen for the Day

I was thinking of forgiveness the other day. In particular, how forgiving children can be, while adults tend to harbor hard feelings and hold grudges. Jesus seemed to think that forgiveness was pretty important didn’t He? He taught that if we want to be forgiven by our heavenly Father, we should be forgiving toward each other. The Word teaches that we shouldn’t offer an offering, or expect our prayers to be answered if we were harboring feelings of unforgiveness in our hearts. One of our Lord’s most dramatic teachings was at the cross, when He asked God to forgive the soldiers who nailed Him to the cross.
I was just thinking of this during the week. About how if a particular “daddy” I know would be forgiven by his children for just disappearing out of their young lives, if he would only forgive himself, get over himself, and knock on their door.
And as far as royalty goes…
Yesterday was the renowned Shiprock Parade. Quite an exciting event! Last year 180,000 people watched the parade. Impressive when you realize the population of the Shiprock is about 18,000. Pastor Art and I were on one of the last floats. He was playing drums with a praise band and I went along for the ride. When I mentioned it in class Friday one of my students asked if she could be in the parade with me. She knew her mom would let her, because it was a Christian Ministry float. I said sure. I wasn’t sure she’d show up, but she did. She was dressed beautifully. Sort of an eclectic outfit, part African princess, part Native American. Her hair was braided native style. She is not exactly the homecoming, prom queen sort of girl. She is sweet and friendly, but would never be judged most popular. Part of the time she just sat in the back of the float, scanning the crowd for familiar faces. A lot of the time she was throwing candy (that sort of thing is still allowed and highly expected in this parade…every float does it.) But a few times I noticed her standing and waving royally. Like Miss America, or even Queen Elizabeth. And her young face was glowing. Every young girl should experience that “royal” feeling, at least once. Not many do. I’m glad this one did.
These two topics are not exactly related, but it’s what is on my mind this morning as I get ready to get ready for church. Pastor Art is one of the Liturgical Readers today at the Church we worship at, and after Church we are taking our Grandkids to the fair. My biggest personal prayer (after the global ones for protection of the innocent, and that the spirits of darkness and violence will be subdued by the heavenly host and that my son find a job) is that we can find a parking space near the fair so Grandpa Art won’t be all stressed out.

1 comment:

Wanderer said...

I read your comments about the concept of not being able to expect forgiveness if we harbor any lack thereof in our hearts. Your son is still working on a story revolving around a similar concept, and you know I have debated with him and you about the concept.

Tonight I find myself thinking from a different angle about this.

How does this relationship between our willingness to forgive and ability to be forgiven relate to other aspects.

Particularly in the area of where I get attacked regularly for questioning whether or not God's apparent position actually makes sense? If we are to act as we would care to be treated (golden rule, i.e. forgive if we would be forgiven) does this not point to God's desire that we act as He would? In effect, then, are we not expected and given the opportunity to understand what He wills? And if so, why then not apply rational thinking, as I so often get jumped on for doing, to the question of whether or not He would will it?