everyone counts

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Jesus is our Friend - VIVA!

I'm helping with VBS this week. It is quite a nostolgic experience for me. I've done a lot of VBS's in my life. The treasure verse for yesterday was John 15:15
No longer do I call you slaves, for the slave does not know what his master is doing, but I have called you friends, for the things that I have heard from MY Father I have made known to you. ML and JC might point out the next verse that says " You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you..." No argument, He hand picked and called the people to whom he was speaking, the 11 apostles at the Last Supper (Judas had already left).
So then, since it was the apostles to whom He was speaking, can we apply any of the discertation to ourselves? Is is right to tell kids that Jesus is their friend, whom they can trust in when things go wrong and get scarey? The main message of the day seemed to be, Jesus wants to be your friend and Jesus wants you to behave in a friendly way towards others. We sang a spanish style version of "What a Friend I have in Jesus"...any problem with the theology of that old hymn?
Time to head out for another day...by the way
yesterday I had to drop Pastor Art off real early, so I found a quiet spot on a back road to watch the sunrise. Just as it crested the horizon, an incredibly vibrant rainbow appeared in the southwest. Lightning was flashing under the arc. It was quite an awesome sight - Glory To God!

3 comments:

Wanderer said...

While this is not the general area within which people might argue the scriptures, there is a point that I must argue.

Whether it is paid servitude or enforced, one thing is relatively common. The servant knows precisely what the master is up to. Made easier by the fact that the master never paying attention to the fact that the servant is there.

How does such simple errant logic presented as scripture survive scrutiny? How is it that you can presume that the translation is word-for-word correct rather than generally even on track when blatant fallacies of interpersonal relationships jump up such as this?

Arthur Brokop II said...

one would have to do some research on the slave/master servent/master custom of the times
i think you are incorrect in thinking that the slave/servant knew what precisely the master was up to, his motives and goals...and he certain didn't have a say in those matters.
this, as all Bible verses, is part of a much bigger picture a bigger discourse. Jesus is talking about prayer, about the fact that now the apostles, as his friends have responsibility and privlege.

Wanderer said...

I understand the bigger teaching being presented. I just question Jesus being quoted as using such an example of interpersonal relationships, when he should know that few know more about a man than those who serve him, whether educated or not.