everyone counts

Friday, March 03, 2006

TGIF

what a week! death sorrow and standardized testing - what could be worse?

I know,

It doesn’t really matter what I think or what I have to say.

But there is something there, on the edge of my mind, a new insight.

New to me at least. I just don’t know what to do with it.

I cock my head and listen. I close my eyes and try to lay hold of it.

It is elusive. Like a hummingbird fluttering, I can see it out of the corner of my eye. What is it LORD?

I think of Philippians 2:14-16

Do everything without finding fault or arguing. Then you will be pure and without blame. You will be children of God without fault in a sinful and evil world. Among the people of the world you shine like stars in the heavens. You shine as you hold out to them the word of life.

More and more it is brought to my attention just how sinful and evil, dark and depraved is this world we live in.

More and more I realize how important it is that the LIGHT of JESUS shines through us into this dark world.

More and more I realize that it is my responsibility, as a Christian to hold out to this world the Word of Life.

Life! Kingdom Living! In a world where there is so much pain and death.

Where are the Christians? Where is the body of Christ?

Philippians

What a powerful little book.

Chapter 1:21-23

For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which to choose. But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better;

Did Paul really have a choice there? I believe in Free Choice, but one cannot just choose to die. My friend Melodie did. She was a believer. And she just had all too much going on in her life, and for some reason I’ll never understand, she chose to depart – and be with Christ? I don’t know what she was thinking. I can understand the feeling though. And sitting at her funeral service, I got a real sense of her resting in her LORD’s embrace, or walking with Him in the Garden. I know lots of Christians believe Suicide is a “hell” sentence. I don’t know. I believe in the sanctity of life. I feel bad for her daughter, for her mother. But they are clinging to the hope that they will see her again in glory. I surely wouldn’t take that hope away from them.

But this isn’t really where I meant to go with this piece. And I have to walk home today because Art is working. That’s ok. It feels like spring outside, and I can use the exercise, and the prayer time. I will be listening. There is something important for me to hear.

3 comments:

Wanderer said...

I hope the walk was both enjoyable and productive. Did you hear what you were listening for?

Arthur Brokop II said...

yeah, I think I did...
about sin - sin is not praying when you have been commissioned to pray. sin is not recognizing the hand of God in His handiwork, and not joining with Heaven and Earth as they glorify the LORD. Blessed be the name of the LORD.
There was such a firm but gentle warm breeze on my back as I walked.And God has given me such a heart for this place and for these people. And so I felt His presence so vividly. I walked across the river named for St. John. (San Juan)and I knew that under that bridge was violence and hatered and despair...drugs and booze and gang activity. and the words to my favorite song...shine Jesus shine, fill this land with the Father's Glory, flow River flow, flood this nation with your grace and mercy...
Shalom!

Wanderer said...

Good. I suspect, as these things tend to go, though, that this is not a complete revelation, but the tip of the iceberg. Let us know where this takes you.