everyone counts

Sunday, January 01, 2006

From a Wesleyan Bible Commentary...

I cut and pasted this off our E-Sword software...Hope I'm not breaking any laws here...
just wanted to note that there are many sincere Christians out there who view scriptures, worship, and holiness from a Wesleayan perspective, ie United Methodists, Free Methodists, Nazerine, to mention but three. I may write more on this later, but for now, although the language is a bit formal, I'll let Wesley speak for me...
"We are bid to choose life, and reprehended for not doing it. It is inconsistent with a state of probation in those that must be saved or must be lost. It is of fatal consequence; all men being ready, on very slight grounds, to fancy themselves of the elect number. But the doctrine of predestination is entirely changed from what it formerly was. Now it implies neither faith, peace, nor purity. It is something that will do without them all. Faith is no longer, according to the modern predestinarian scheme, a divine "evidence of things not seen," wrought in the soul by the immediate power of the Holy Ghost; not an evidence at all; but a mere notion. Neither is faith made any longer a means of holiness; but something that will do without it. Christ is no more a Saviour from sin; but a defence, a countenancer of it. He is no more a fountain of spiritual life in the soul of believers, but leaves his elect inwardly dry, and outwardly unfruitful; and is made little more than a refuge from the image of the heavenly; even from righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost. Through sanctification of the Spirit - Through the renewing and purifying influences of his Spirit on their souls."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are not alone in your worship and reading of the Bible from a Wesleyan perspective. I grew up in the Nazarene church and have spent most of my life in worship, ministry or serving in the Nazarene Church. I went to one of the Nazarene colleges (ENC '83). But unfortunately I am somewhat of a pilgrim in a foreign land right now and worshipping in a Southern Baptist Church. I just started a blog myself and would welcome a visit from you and a comment on my first post.

In Christ,

Kevin

http://kjkebblog.blogspot.com/

Arthur Brokop II said...

kjkeb,
thanks for your comment, yes I will come visit your site, sometime this weekend.