everyone counts

Monday, December 19, 2005

Here it is...

Please read "Disclaimer" and "On Hold" even if you can't make it through this whole thing.

In the beginning God…
Seems like as good a place as any to begin. And God Said…
How precious is the Word of God. How incredible is the fact that HE, who created the heavens and the earth would choose to make Himself known to such insignificant beings.
In the beginning, God created (Genesis 1:1 of course). And what may be known about Him is plain to us, to all of us, because since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities, His eternal power and divine nature has been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20). Creation would have been enough. But he also gave us His word. He communicated with us, from the beginning. And as insurance that the message would be clear and eternal, He chose the languages in which to write the words, and hand picked the prophets, scribes, secretaries by whose hands it would be written. First mentioned is Moses. Exodus 17:14 “Write this on a scroll as something to be remembered… Exodus 24:4 Moses then wrote down everything the LORD had said…Numbers 33:2 At the LORD’s command Moses recorded the stages of their journey. And this is confirmed by our LORD - John 5:46 If you believed Moses, you would have believed Me, for he wrote about me. What did Moses write? The Torah, the Law, The first five books of the BIBLE, the first recorded covenant between God and His creation, those created in His image and likeness, for His purpose. Ah, the first point of contention. I have heard it said that although man was created in the image and likeness of God (male and female He created them) after the fall man was no longer the image of God, but a totally depraved creature who can not seek God on his own. I would point to Psalm 8:4-6, but on a surface reading in most English translations, I supposed one could argue that David was writing about man before the fall, although I would disagree. James 3:9 mentions “men, who have been made in God’s likeness” and I Cor. 11:7 says that man is the image and glory of God. But again, it could be argued that those verses are talking about men saved by grace. I will just say that it shocked me to discover that some believers do not believe that humans still carry in them, from birth, the image and likeness of God. What does that make us before being saved? It seems to diminish the sanctity of life as I understand it. But going back to Genesis, it is clear that God continued to have communion with mankind even after the fall, and that He spoke to, and cared about individuals even after they totally rejected His covenant and warnings. I’ve already posed the question of Cain in Chapter 4.
In the NIV: Why are you angry? Why is your face downcast? If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door. It desires to have you, but you must master it.
In the CEV: If you had done the right thing, you would be smiling. But you did the wrong thing, and now sin is waiting to attack you like a lion. Sin wants to destroy you, but don’t let it. So God is giving Cain a warning and a choice.
Peter and James, who knew our LORD on a very intimate level gave similar warnings.
1 Peter 5:8 “be on the alert, your adversary, the devil prowls like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. James 4:7 Submit therefore to God, resist the devil and he will flee from you. Warnings and choices, from the very beginning. If and Then, This or That, make the choice, receive the blessing or suffer the consequences. Where does it say that the choice has already been made for us?
Before I move on, while I am still in Genesis, please look at Genesis 6. Can we read it without some theologian telling us, what it really means is this…or of course it doesn’t really mean that. Can we just look at the words as they are written, and draw the logical conclusion? Unless of course Logic is of the enemy and not a quality we can attribute to God. Genesis 6:5-8
NASV - Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually and the LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth and He was grieved in His heart, and the LORD said, “I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land…for I am sorry that I have made them…But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD.
CEV - The Lord saw how bad the people on earth were and that everything they thought and planned was evil. He was very sorry that he had made them and he said, I’ll destroy every living creature on the earth…I’m sorry I ever made them, But the LORD was pleased with Noah.
KJV - And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth and it grieved him at his heart and the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth…for it repented me that I have made them. But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.
Did God know when He set the earth in motion exactly how things were going to turn out? Does He know every single choice we will make before we make it, or does he know every possible/probable decision and consequence of those multitude of choices we make every day? What about the Book of Life? Does (can/should???) man seek God? Who are the Elect? The Predestined? What is our destiny? Jesus taught us to pray…”Thy will be done” in fact He prayed those very words right before he was betrayed into the hands of the angry crowd. Why pray those words? Of course God’s will will be done. Why pray at all? Everything is unfolding exactly as God knew it would (foreknowledge). Everything in fact is unfolding exactly as God planned for it to unfold. (Sovereignty) Now, lest some of my readers (if I have any left that is) start rejoicing, thinking that in my delving into the word, I discovered “they” were right and I was wrong…I am merely stating here the doctrines I will be addressing in this way too long post. Already 1100 words long. And I’m still in Genesis.
I began my research for this piece by reading Deuteronomy 29. The book that I have been using for a guide line referred to Deut. 29:29 and it is a verse that I rediscovered this past year at a Bible Study. ‘The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever. That we may follow all the words of this law.” I was willing to apply this to the question of predestination vs free will, that there were just some things the LORD chose not to explain. But the Bible teacher that recently pointed me to that verse said that we can understand predestination clearly, without question, because it has been revealed to us. No question or debate. What is, is and what the Bible teacher said was, was.
Anyway, I went back to Deut. 29:29 and not wanting to take a verse out of context, I decided to read the whole chapter. And, OHNO! I got hung up on verse 4 - but to this day, the LORD has not given you a mind (heart) that understands That sounds like only people who God chooses to understand will understand. And the rest? Well, damn them anyway. So I grabbed all my other translations, and my Strongs. Here is my discovery. The word that is rendered heart or mind has to do with the intellect, the knowledge. Up until the point of this writing, people hadn’t been given all the information they needed to understand all there was to understand. What they had seen first hand should have been enough, but they were too dense. The whole chapter is about how God expects us to get it, at least as much as He had revealed at the time, about His covenant and our choices. And as far as verse 29 is concerned, of course we can now apply it to the whole of scripture, but note that at its writing the only thing about predestination or divine election revealed was that the sons of Abraham had been chosen as a people set apart.
I want to be very careful not to say “this is what it means.” I want to stick with “this is what it says”. But I have also discovered that “this is what it says” must be qualified sometimes, depending on what version(s) you are using, what Bias or Preconception the translators may have had - since all our translations were produced after the influence of Augustine, Luther, etc affected theology - and what context the words were written in. When it comes to the contexualization of the gospel, we need to be consistent. I am not insinuating that we should all become Jews, but I will point out that the scriptures were written primarily by Jews with a Jewish perspective and that Jesus’ teachings were often directed toward the Jewish leaders of the time. The context we should consider is 1st century Jew (and Gentile) not 15th century Europe.
When I approach the Scriptures, I do so with the understanding that God has revealed Himself as a covenant making and covenant keeping KING. That God is LOVE, mercy and justice are two of His most prominent attributes. That
He is light and in Him is no darkness, or confusion at all. What is true is true, no matter who says it. But truth is not a concept. It is a person, He who said, “I am the Truth…” and so one of the first concepts that I balked at here in the world of blog was that No One Seeks God.
If I were willing to play the game, “I have more verses than you, so I’m right!” I could win this one easily. I have at least 14 and I haven’t gone beyond Psalms yet. Usually, though, when I bring up those verses I hear, “But to whom are they written?” To all of us, right? To anyone who dares to read them. Right? Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. So the Scriptures are the Word of God and they are for anyone who hears it (reads it) but ummm, no. Not everyone who hears will believe. And not everyone who says they believe really believes. John 3:16 says, “whosoever believes” James says “Faith without works is dead.” what a tangled web we weave…And yet the Word seems so clear.
“God has set eternity in the hearts of man…Ecc 3:11
It’s there, He put it there. I know citing theologians or philosophers does not hold as much clout as quoting scriptures, but I really like Pascal’s allusion to the “god shaped hole”.
Deuteronomy 4:19...but if from there you seek the LORD you God you will find Him, if you look for Him with all your heart.
In Matthew 7:7 Jesus says “Seek and You will find…” What are we to be seeking? Sutff, Wisdom, Salvation, Truth, God?
My favorite “search God” verses from the New Testament are:
Acts 17:26-27 “From one man He made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth, and He determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that man would seek Him and perhaps, reach out for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us.”
And Hebrews 11, the faith chapter
“And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him (verse 6)”
One more, from my all time favorite book of the Bible
Isaiah 55:6,7 Seek the LORD while He may be found, call on Him while He is near. Let the wicked forsake his way and the evil man his thoughts, Let him turn to the LORD and He will have mercy on him…
So what about Romans 3:11 where Paul is quoting Psalm 14 and 53? ’There is no one who seeks God, no one who understands…”
Well I say, if you look at the Psalms mentioned, you see the same image as in Genesis 6:6. God, looking to see if anyone is seeking Him, but seeing only corruption and then the lament., will the evil doers never learn? All have turned away. Turned away from what? He gave us choices, at times it seems as if everyone is making the wrong choice. If only those who God calls can seek Him, why should He care that the other guys aren’t looking for Him? But He does care. Like with Cain, He gives us warnings, He sends us prophets with words of instruction. It is not His will that any should be lost. He interacts with us daily, hourly, giving us grace, showing us mercy. But we have the choice and the responsibility to choose. We all fall short, and we are to accept the responsibility of our own sins and confess (1John 1:8-10)
Do our choices ever surprise God? Do our prayers ever change His mind?
I think, as with any good parent, God has high hopes and expectations that we will choose wisely. He knows the ultimate outcome of our right choices and of our wrong. Before we decide, He has a plan to prosper us if we choose correctly, and help us if we choose wrong. Since He knows all the possibilities, He is never surprised, yet He may be disappointed. Again Genesis 6:6 and a new discovery I just made, Jeremiah 3:19 “I thought you would call me Father…”
And it pleases Him when we choose Him over our own wishes - “Now, I know…”
Genesis 22:12.
Is God lying, fooling around with us. Or does the Word mean what it says?
As far as prayer goes, intercession prayer specifically
Abraham for Sodom - Genesis 18
Moses and Aaron for the assembly - Exodus 16
Moses for Israel - Exodus 32
In 2 Kings 20, Isaiah is told by the LORD to deliver a message, “thus saith the LORD”.
The king crises and whines and the LORD sends the prophet back…He had heard the kings prayers and changed His mind, which turned out to not be a very good thing for the king, but that doesn’t change the fact that the king’s prayer changed God’s plan.
There are so many other directions I can take this, but it is 2500+ words already. Who will read it anyway? One or two gentlemen who will remain unswayed no matter how many verses I cite, verses that say man is meant to search for God, that Jesus and the apostles wrote that there is, can be, some good in man, that the book of life mentioned in several places is not a prewritten book in which are the names of the elect who were predestined before time to be saved. I read the stories, the records of the covenant, the conditions, the promises. I read of a God who interacts with people on a regular basis. If the plan is prewritten and the elect are predestined, why would He even bother? I’m tired of this. I may have to leave a church I love because of this. I know the Bible pretty well, and I get to know it more each time I read it, but I don’t know a God who wrote evil and pain and damnation into His perfect plan. I have another book in my hands right now, it’s got some good, logical stuff in it. I’d quote it, but it’s just a book. Not the Bible. It does however confirm my original blogging fear. See, I started this whole thing when I read an article by Chris P. on the emergent church. In it he mentioned “Open Theism” and by his brief summary of what it was, I thought, well that sounds like what I believe, but Chris P. said that was Heresy, and I wondered why it was heresy. I started reading some other stuff. Commenting here and there. What was so wrong with candles or incense, or using rocks for a visual metaphor of a Biblical truth, and dancing in worship, even doing the Hula maybe. But I rejected the label “Open Theist” because the anti people out there said that the Open Theists were relativists who did not hold to the authority of the Bible.
But now I have to admit. I am an open theist, as described in the book I’ve been reading.
Some things happen that are not what God planned for us. And sometimes people simply fall victim to unfortunate circumstances. Our experiences matter to God, here and now. He is infinitely sensitive to what happens to us. There is a profound sense of divine sympathy flowing from God, and there is nothing that lies beyond God’s capacity to work for good. Such recognition meets our natural desire to know that tragedies have not occurred in vain, they count for something. And the open view of God does not evoke the objectionable notions that God plans the tragedies to happen.
It has been said here in the world of blogs, that Free Will is not necessarily a Biblical concept. The question has been asked, where in the Bible does it say we are entitled to a Free Will. If it weren’t a Biblical concept, why does God, through His prophets say over and over again to choose? Are we free to choose? Or does God just lead us to believe we have a choice? To be sure, we may think that we are making a decision, but if in reality my selection is already determined by factors of which I am not aware, if God’s knowledge of the future is exhaustive, and liner, and He knows exactly what I will choose, then freedom to choose is an illusion. I am trying to bring this to a logical conclusion. And the only thought in my mind is “I love you LORD.” I need to end this with one more Biblical quotation. Just one more? But which one?
“Hear, O Israel, the LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all you heart and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength. The second is this. Love you neighbor has yourself!” By the way, that says neighbor not brother. We’ve had some discussions about who our “Brothers” were as opposed to who our Enemies are. It’s been said we don’t have to worry about the unsaved. I can’t believe it’s been said by people who claim to be followers of Christ, but it has been. Remember how Jesus answered the question - Whose my neighbor?. But that is an all together different issue. Be nice. Jesus wants us to be nice. Merry Christmas, and God Bless Us - Everyone…may we all be like trees - Psalm 1:3 trees. 3321 words.

52 comments:

Rob said...

Hey Maryellen,

I'm busy writing at this moment, as well, on post-charismatics. Plus putting in as many hours at Starbucks as I can -- our van needs engine work, our family dog is dying so the vet needs fees, plus it's Christmas -- you get the picture...

Anyway, I don't have time to read this online, but I copied it into a text file and will print it out for reading by the fireplace after work tonight. Although I haven't even really glanced through it yet, I want to say "thanks in advance", as I know you've put a lot of time, research, effort and passion into writing this.

I look forward to reading it!

Merry CHRISTmas!!

Arthur Brokop II said...

robby, thank you, it is not as exhaustive as i planned for it to be. it just got too complicated...but for what it's worth, it was a work of the heart.
Merry Christmas to you and yours...

Grey Owl said...

Blast! My printer ran out of ink! I'll have to stick it on my laptop. I'll weigh in when I get back.

Arthur Brokop II said...

was there any possibility that you, Jason, wouldn't ask another irrelevant question?

Wanderer said...

Yes, Jason, for in God all things are possible.

;)

MaryEllen - I do apologize for being MC's gateway here. As for this post, I read it through and was impressed. I only lack detailed comment because there is little for me to provide in a strictly scriptural argument.

Arthur Brokop II said...

Jason, I have no theory...
I only have God as revealed in scripture, whose steadfast love never faileth...was Judus destined to betray Christ? was he destined to hang himself after he did?
Does Jesus know the hearts of man? Even I can say I know the hearts of my own children...might be wrong sometimes, might be pleasently surprised some times.What was God saying to cain in the scripture I cited? I didn't go into the new testament, but I could have. I won't argue with you anymore. I know my God, He was there when I sought Him, He asked me to choose and I did. He still asks me to choose, every day...will I do His will or turn to my own way...I will obey His great command to the best of my human ability, knowing He will be there to dust me off and set me straight if and when I fall. For anyone who chooses to read this the message is the same! God created you, every single one of you, every human soul ever conceieved, for a purpose, a good purpose. With a plan for your life.
Very few people stick to that plan completely. Like sheep, we all go astray. And no one is without sin, but God has made a way, through Jesus Christ, for any and all Human beings to be saved, redeemed, renewed, and to acheive the goal set before them. Whosoever in John 3:16, is you...no matter who you are, or what you've done. everyone of you, MC, Wanderer, Mary, anyone. It is never too late, until you breathe your last breath, and until you breath your last breath, the choice is yours to make. It has not already been made. Like the father of the prodical, God the father is calling your name...every name, not just an elect few, God is on your side and all the angels in heaven are routing for you. Choose this day whom you will follow...as for me,
inspite of arguing christians, and selfrighteous church goers, and inspite of the fact that his people have sometimes let me down...I choose Jesus!
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty GOD,Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace!

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Very well written, MaryEllen. Thanks for stopping by at my Journal.

Have a wonderful Christmas.

Arthur Brokop II said...

Hey, i've been accused of preaching the "gospel of roddenbery", now I know I've made it, a voice from the future...a highly respected voice at that...LOL

Wanderer said...

"If Judas wasn't destined to betray Jesus, how would God's plan have been carried out? Wouldn't Jesus have been a liar if He stated that Judas would betray Him and he didn't?"

The plan was already set in motion by the time this comment was made. This doesn't apply to destiny or knowing the future. It merely speaks to understaning a man well enough to know he will finish what he started. It doesn't take being the son of God to accomplish this.

Using this as an example reminds me of the episode of the Simpsons where the fortune teller tells Lisa what all of her family members are doing at that time. I believe Lisa responds with, "Wow, you really can see into the present."

Arthur Brokop II said...

John 17:12
Judus is called "the son of perdition" "The one worthy of distruction" "doomed for distruction" or literally "the son of distruction". Psalm 41:9 is one of those double prophesies, fulfilled at the time and fulfilled again in the future. Not until the fact did we see that it could be applied to the messiah as well as to David who was writing it about his own dear friend. The death and ressurection were prophesied in the OT and the date and time was set, that does not mean that each man's decision was known or planned.
May I please point back to Cain and ask the same question that you, Jason, asked about Judus?
Was there a possibility that Cain was not going to kill his brother?
Your own "theory" goes out the same window as mine...with this single incident...
as wanderer points out, the plan was already set in motion, the deed already done, when Jesus prayed that prayer. The betrayal was the event that led to the curcifixion, but the crucifixion would have happened even if Judus had changed his mind at the last minute. And judus' story would have been different if, like Peter, he had chosen to repent... The choice was his, but Jesus knew his heart. As he knows mine, as he knows yours...

Arthur Brokop II said...

that's a really badly written argument, but i'm not in the mood to argue anyway...Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward our Brothers and Sister...

Wanderer said...

Jason,
Prophecies are like statistics. While they do point to something specific, it doesn't take much to twist them to mean anything you want to say they meant after the fact. Judas wasn't named in the prophecy, thus your argument is not supported. In that one particular area it was very vague, yet other things can much more specifically be pointed to. Perhaps because what would happen was known, for God would make it so, but who would do it was not?

(On the subject of statistics - I heard somewhere that 46.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.)

Rob said...

Well, you know what they say...

There are 3 kinds of lies:

There are lies.

There are DANGED BIG lies.

And there are statistics.

Although I think that Wanderer's stats on stats are probably accurate, statistically speaking.

Chris P. said...

I will be commenting on the entire article at my blog, probably in the next day or two. (for anyone who cares)
As for this Judas debate;

John 6:

58This is the bread that came down from heaven, not as the fathers ate and died. Whoever feeds on this bread will live forever." 59Jesus said these things in the synagogue, as he taught at Capernaum.
60When many of his disciples heard it, they said, "This is a hard saying; who can listen to it?" 61But Jesus, knowing in himself that his disciples were grumbling about this, said to them, "Do you take offense at this? 62Then what if you were to see the Son of Man ascending to where he was before? 63It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is of no avail. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life. 64But there are some of you who do not believe." (For Jesus knew from the beginning who those were who did not believe, and who it was who would betray him.) 65And he said, "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father."
66After this many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him.


Now unless someone has the original text in the original first century Greek, then we sadly must rely on our deficient Bibles.
So if Jesus already knew before the fact, did Judas tell Him that he had been conspiring or would conspire with the sanhedrin?
I don't think Judas was that stupid, so he also must believe that Jesus didn't have prescient knowledge.

Let's rely on statistics by all means, and not the actual source of all truth.

Grey Owl said...

Chris - "Now unless someone has the original text in the original first century Greek, then we sadly must rely on our deficient Bibles." Uh, sarcasm, right?

Maryellen - It was a nice read. I have to admit the debate does not rage as strongly for me; I have no problem with mentally resolving free will and predestination as NOT mutually exclusive. A la John Calvin and one of his Canadian followers. But it sounds like you have taken quite a journey to get to this place. What is the book you read about Open Theism?

Wanderer said...

" What if Judas backed out, was there another waiting to take his place."

Look at the world around you. There is always someone who is willing to step up and take a swing at the most popular and most powerful. As for Judas backing out, at that point (at the supper) it was obvious he wasn't going to. He was already in motion. If he backed out, a normal human being could have talked him or someone back into it. You don't think God could nudge his own plan into action? You don't think he could find someone to do it? This goes back to my question of why people think Judas would be damned rather than exalted by all for his part in the salvation of man.

Wanderer said...

"Let's rely on statistics by all means, and not the actual source of all truth."

Leave it to you to grab a couple of words from my post without bothering to look at what they were saying. When you actually read what I wrote and respond to that, then there can be some discourse. For now, I won't be dragged back into it for your ego.

Anonymous said...

I once heard a pastor describe the predestination vs. freewill debate with this illustration:

There are two ropes that lead to understanding this debate, on the one side is the rope of free will, and on the other the rope of predestination. We can try to climb them both to gain an understanding of the topic. However, when we try to climb one rope the rope comes down as fast as we climb it, and the same for the other rope. What the audience couldn't see is that at the top these ropes were covered by a bag, and under that bag was a pully. In reality the ropes were both part of God's design, interconnected, the only way to come to any sort of understanding was to climb BOTH ropes at the stame time. While we are on this earth the "bag" will always be over the answer, and we can never fully comprehend why or how they are connected, but they both work together in some mysterious, amazing, God only way.

Thanks for the thought provoking post ME.

Chris P. said...

Wanderer
Ego has nothing to do with it.
I wass actually addressing Robby mac and i reiterate statistics are irrlevant.

Jason you are getting on dangerous ground here. :-)
Keep it up.

Grey Owl said...

Chris - I agree, statistics are not that point. Which is probably why Wanderer said it like this, "Prophecies are like statistics. While they do point to something specific, it doesn't take much to twist them to mean anything you want to say they meant after the fact." I think that shows what he think of statistics, too, don't you?

Arthur Brokop II said...

As I have stated in many places, many times, I have had no serious conflicts with people who are more calvinistic than wesleyan, and believe that Jesus, and Him crucified is the fact that can unite the body. I like Mo's illustration of the two ropes, and I'm willing to just say Amen to Deut 29:29 and leave it at that. But I don't like being told that my primarily Wesleyan way of looking at the question of election and free will is heretical. The argument has caused me to look deeper into the Word, and in doing so I have discovered some things about our modern doctrines and theologies that seem to need some serious reworking. I am not the person to do it. I am just a grandmother lamenting the fact that she won't be able to see her beloved grand children this Christmas season...

Arthur Brokop II said...

As far as Judas. Please note that I did not mention him in my original article.
Did Jesus know that he would be betrayed? Yes. Are the prophesies in the Old Testament (and New) true and trustworthy, Yes. Does God know the times, seasons, and the human heart? Yes. Did Jesus know the day the world would end?
NO. Does He now? Did God know whether or not Cain would kill his brother? Did God know what Cain would do before he did it? Was God grieved that human kind was making all the wrong choices at the time of Noah?
Was He surprised? Was He disappointed?
But wait, I'm discussing Judas now. Jesus knew He would be betrayed? Did he call Judas because He knew he was the one? Seems like Peter had the potential of doing the same thing. Remember Jesus' prayer for Peter, the devil wanted him and Jesus prayed that he would be strong enough to fight the temptation. By the time the events were in action, Jesus knew which one was the betrayer. Perhaps his answer about the one with whom he dipped the bread meant that anyone of the apsotles could have done it. They weren't even sure of themselves "Is is I Lord?"
I fully agree:"This is just another example of how God can use the evil of men and use it to accomplish His eternal plan."
He does not plan the evil, He plans only Good, but when evil choices are made, God can and will make even the evil things turn out for Good...Romans 8:28
"Judas is damned because his intentions were evil." exactly my point...Judas is damned because his intentions were evil, not because he was elected before time to be damned.
We can only know what was...we can not know what would have been. Our Sovereign God knows all possiblities, all probabilities, and can take any mess we make and turn it for good, when we trust that He is Who He Says He is...
Love, a loving everlasting father, wonderful counselor, Prince of Peace and King of Kings.

Arthur Brokop II said...

God's Foreknowledge & Man's Free Will
by Richard Rice (Orginally called "The Openness of God"

also Foundations of Wesleyan-Arminian theology by Mildred Bangs Wynkoop...

Pastor Art says they are probably both out of print...

Rob said...

re: Statistics

Wanderer and I were joking.

"Humor... it is a difficult concept." (Lt. Saavik, Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan)

Arthur Brokop II said...

oh no, not another star trek reference...beam me up scotty, or rapture me up Jesus, what ever, life down here is getting really crazy...

Grey Owl said...

jason - "refusal to believe in the omniscience and sovereignty of God that is alarming" - where does maryellen say this? I think you are reacting to something percieved that was not actually said. Open Theists still believe in God's sovergienty, and (as far as I know) they still believe that he is omniscient, just that he intentionally limits his knowledge so as to allow true free will. Even if they didn't believe in his omniscience, that's not a belief necessary for salvation is it? Belive and confess that Jesus is Lord was part of it for sure... I must've missed the "and the Three Omni's, too!" verse.

Grey Owl said...

I try not to speculate on the eternal fate of others; that's none of my buisness. And the only magic words I know are "abra-cadabera." I've got to run, but I'll be back to comment further.

Wanderer said...

"By the way Art, you aren't the first guy to come along in the past 5 hundred years that could read and write Hebrew, so how about giving that argument a rest. "

You aren't the first guy to attempt to usurp God's place in damning others, so why don't you give that a rest too? Can you discuss these issues at all without your own private elation over the damnation of others?

You knock the fact that he can read Hebrew. I don't recall him patting himself on the back, just pointing a different angle. Your doctor isn't the first man in a hundred years with a medical degree, do you tell him to put his medical knowledge to rest when he treats you?

I don't understand why you folks would knock the education of others in a manner that seems to indicate you think you are superior to the more educated counterpart. It is like another one of our posters here who attacked the fact that I have obtained a degree he has not, as if I erred by doing so.

Many of us attempt to show what we have ascertained and discuss these issues. Most of us do so without claiming to know the eternal fate of those around us. It may be difficult to do that, but why don't you just try? Break a little sweat.

Ultimately, none of us know all of the answers. You seem to challenge us to reveal the contents of God's mind. You know we can't. If you don't know that you can't, try professional help.

Every one of us has something to learn from each of the rest of us. It is the way things were designed to work. Unfortunately, by design we are somewhat prone to attack others as well. That was one of the baser instincts your God instructed you to rise above. Try it. See if you can have a discussion in which you don't automatically assume you have nothing to learn. If you can't, then you really have no place in the discussion.

Grey Owl said...

Jason - "God's word is not ambiguous about who is damned.
If you have a problem with that, take it up with Him, not me." I don't have a problem with scripture or anything it says, but would you mind pointing out the passages that you are referring to? Much appreciated.

Grey Owl said...

Yeah... something wrong?

Grey Owl said...

Thanks, Jason, I appreciate the time you took to get those.

Let's pause at 1 corinth 6:9, especially, "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God."

Old english gives me such a kick.

Anyways, this sounds really bad. This sounds terrible, actually! Because when you take it in light of Romans 3:10 "No one is righteous, not even one," that seems to say that no one is going to inherit the kingdom of God! That can't be right... Jason, what does this mean?

Grey Owl said...

Jason - Ahhh... so let me reiterate; Jesus makes people (who are unrighteous) righteous before God because of his death and resurrection. Correct?

So who does he make righteous?

Grey Owl said...

No, like their names. Who are the chosen of God?

Grey Owl said...

Only 3? That's really bizarre. I would assume there would be more...

There's got to be more than just the three of you. What about everyone else? Who of them are chosen by God?

Grey Owl said...

Thanks for the discipleship offer, but I'd rather be friends. I don't see why we can't even if we disagree.

You see, I'm not asking about me. I'm asking in general, How do you know if someone is "one of the elect," to use Paul's language?

Arthur Brokop II said...

I do not want to agrue. I know that this comment will make no difference to those who believe like Jason, and although I do indeed have scripture upon which to base my "theology" playing the chapter and verse game is pointless. But, just to restate my position -
the elect are (and were from Genesis on) the Jews, the chosen ones, the ones through whom the Savior of the World was to come. Through them all the nations of the world would be blessed - whether they liked it or not. Jesus was the One predestined to come, die, rise again, for the salvation of all - whosoever would believe...may I say choose to believe. The apostles were also elect - chosen by Christ, called by Christ, hand picked, to carry the gospel into the world. Since the Bible was translated into Latin by the Roman church, which was very anti-semetic, and later into English and German, by Christian Theologians who were equally anti-semetic, the idea of the Jewish nation being the elect mentioned in scripture needed to be erased and was done so by the concept of Divine Election, meaning that only those God elected would be saved. This theology, by the way, led to the concept of Manifest Destiny with which white european Christians justified the domination and even attemped extermination of humans who they believed could not possibly be elect (heathen and savages) and therefore not worth mercy or justice.
Every human soul ever created by our Good and Loving God is born with a divine purpose and is predestined for salvation. The stipulation is that they freely choose to accept Jesus, and those who do are under the mandate to go, make disciples, spread the good news, and be servants to the poor and needy masses. They will know we are Christians by our Love. As far as who can come to God, His Word is full of commands and invitations to seek Him. The prophets tell the wicked - seek God while He may be found. The Messiah says Seek and Ye shall find. In exaspeation the Psalmist said "no one seeks God!" the same way a parent may cry to a child, or a child to a parent, "you never listen to me." But I really don't want to argue. it is pointless. it is counter productive, but you guys keep it up as long as you like, I'd like to reach 10,000 hits by New Years!

Arthur Brokop II said...

Well I must say, Jason, that you gave me some food for thought and a good hour or so of Bible Study, thank you. I'll be re-reading Ephesians for the next few days, always loved that book. However, one verse does not an arguement win, and in my morning study, I found at least 3 more to add to my list to "prove" that God expects humans to seek Him. Therefore I assume that God has put it into their nature to do so, since a Just and Merciful God would not condemn a person for not doing something that is totally impossible for him to do. In addtion to Psalms and Proverbs and Isaiah and Jeremiah, which all have "you must seek God" type verses, and to answer the children of wrath by nature question,In Romans 2:14 it says that the Gentiles, by nature, obey the law (sometimes), Romans 1 says that which may be known of God is manifest in them for God showed it unto them. And I like 2 Chronicles 19:3 "Nevertheless, there are good things found in thee, in that thou hast taken away the groves out of the land and hast prepeared thin heart to seek God." But all those, as with the Chilren of Wrath by nature verse are taken out of context. Enough for now, this is going to be a busy day.

Wanderer said...

Jason -

Only the chosen of God will make it into heaven. Only God knows the hearts of men.

These two facts and your refusal, in fact admittance of inability, to label specifically who here will go to heaven or not proves precisely what I have said. You don't know who is damned, despite your fingerpointing to scripture and your mandate for me to take it up with Her.

Therefore, since you don't know, we are back to my original point. You should stop claiming that you do. Try walking with your fellow man and guiding where you may. Stop trying to beat them over the head on issues you are obviously uncertain about yourself. If you derive your security from the demeaning of others you should probably look closer at how secure you really are.

Arthur Brokop II said...

Wander, although Jason and his bunch would disagree with this, I need to restate your two facts...
Only those who choose God/Christ will be saved, and God knows the hearts of Man...
other than that and your reference to "her" you're talking about me right??? (kidding)
I agree with what you are saying.

Arthur Brokop II said...

i have never denied that we are saved by grace through faith, or faith through grace, it is by believing in Jesus that we are saved. But faith without works is dead, and dead faith will not save us...and the promise of salvation is to whosoever believes...not whosoever is destined to believe.

Grey Owl said...

Jason - you said, "I am not omniscient so as to say who will eventually be damned" - that's what I'm trying to get at with you. We don't know who will turn to Christ, so to speculate on someone's final destiny when their life is unfinished seems to me to be jumping the gun. We don't know the state of someone's heart when they die, or at any point for that matter. We can only make assumptions. "At the present time you are under God's wrath" - but we don't live solely in the here and now, especially if you (as you claim) believe in predestination. So if we are all under condemnation until redeemed, and we don't know who will be redeemed, why speculate? Why not just proclaim Christ and him crucified?

That's why this whole argument seems a little silly to me. Who really cares? God will save whom he will save, and I don't think that anyone who wants to be saved will be abandoned. I may not agree with Maryellen's specific conclusions, but I can't see any reason to not keep being friends.

BTW Maryellen, I do have some criticism for you about this paper. Two words: Paragraph breaks.

And just another note - I'm sick of people taking shots at Wanderer because he's not a Christian. The bible says non-believers are to be treated with gentleness and respect, not condemnation. What kind of a witness are we being? Surely we can have interactions with non-christians without either 1) constantly telling them they're going to hell, or b) constantly trying to convert them.

Wanderer said...

Jason -
"Wanderer- Did you read the scripture verses? I am not omniscient so as to say who will eventually be damned. I can say however by the authority of God's word that at the present time you are under the wrath of God, because you reject Jesus as Lord and savior."

If you think I am arguing for myself, you really need to re-assess what I have written here. I have no problem with my faith and am not arguing for myself. I am outside of the sphere of my arguments based on your scripture, but rather addressing the issue of your attacks on MaryEllen. If you can't see that in my numerous posts, I might suggest that literacy helps in written discourse.

I have never defended myself in these arguments of your faith. It would be absurd for me to do so. As absurd as you defending yourself based on the Islamic faith.

I address issues based on your scriptures because that is what you read. It is addressing your position, not mine. I have no concern for my soul.

I will say, though, that while possibly misguided by your interpretation of my intent, you still have not addressed what I pointed out. That being that you can not claim certainty that MaryEllen is damned based on minor interpretive differences, since you don't know what God's final decision will be any more than the rest of us.

You claim a certainty of the end result of our souls' journey while forgetting that you are also a man so you don't have the final authority any more than us.

Claim that you know the innermost workings of God's mind or drop the arrogant claims of your certainty of one's damnation. You can only take one position or the other.

For myself, I do not fear this wrath you threaten me with, because I know you are wrong. Even if you call me to adhere to your scripture I know you are wrong. Still, I do not feel compelled to defend myself as much as to offend others if they are attacked. Show basis of your authority or cease with the authoritarian judgement. Again, to be taken seriously, you must choose one side or the other.

Arthur Brokop II said...

Yes, I believe that a practicing, faithful Roman Catholic can be saved. Just as I believe, a Methodist, Baptist, Tongue Speaking Rapture believer, Episcapalian, Menonite, etc, etc, can be saved. The deciding factor is not what "teachings" or doctrine you adhere to, but who you believe Jesus Christ to be, and what you do with your faith in Him. The gospel and mystery of faith...that whosoever belieth in Him will not perish, but have eternal life.

Arthur Brokop II said...

JESUS CHRIST IS THE SECOND PERSON ON THE BLESSED TRINITY. HE WAS BORN OF A VIRGIN BUT WAS INDEED VERY GOD AND VERY MAN. I WOULD BE SO BOLD AS TO SAY THAT THE MAIN POINT OF ALL HIS TEACHING WAS TO LOVE GOD AND LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR, AND REPENT-GO-SIN NO MORE!
HE DIED ON THE CROSS FOR THE FORGIVNESS OF OUR SINS AND BY HIS BLOOD WE ARE SAVED. THE GOOD NEWS IS FOR WHOSOEVER WILL BELIEVE. IF WE CONFESS THAT JESUS IS GOD, AND THAT HE TOOK UPON HIMSELF THE SINS OF THE WORLD, THAT HE INDEED DIED FOR OUR SINS, AND THAT ONLY BY HIS DEATH WILL WE BE SAVED...THEN WE ARE SAVED. AND IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT KIND OF MUSIC IS SUNG AT OUR SERVICES, WHETHER OR NOT WE PRAY IN TONGUES, IF THERE IS INCENCSE BURNING, OR CANDLES, OR WHAT KIND OF ART APPEARS IN OUR SANCTUARIES. THE GOSPEL IS "JESUS LOVES YOU, AND JESUS SAVES." THAT IS THE JESUS I LEARNED ABOUT IN MY CATHOLIC SCHOOL, THAT IS THE JESUS I MET PERSONALLY IN MY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH.THAT IS THE JESUS I WALK WITH DAILY. IF YOU JASON, HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT, YOU CAN TAKE IT UP WITH HIM.

Stephanie said...

I've been away for awhile, but apparently missed a great debate...I haven't had time to read everything yet, but Jason and Maryellen I've read your most recent comments and I have a few things to say.

Maryellen~ You Go Girl!!!

Jason~ What Jesus do you believe in? Do you honestly think that someone who accepts Him and truly believes in Him would turn away someone just because they go to a different church or call themselves other than the generic word "Christian?" which by the way has come to mean so many things other than what it was meant to mean so long ago when the term began. It's almost an embarassment to be called a Christian these days. Don't take that the wrong way...I will and do stand for Christ everyday, I even had to change jobs to stand up for my beliefs last year, but the stereotypes that come with the word Christian these days are disgusting and embarassing.

Arthur Brokop II said...

Matthew 5:22c
"And if you call someone a fool you will be in danger of the fire of hell." NCV

Wanderer said...

"Matthew 5:22c
'And if you call someone a fool you will be in danger of the fire of hell.' NCV "


"Galatians 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?"

Thank you Jason, for pointing to something I have been saying for a while. Your posting clearly indicates Paul's fallibility for his statements are contradictory to the gospel or at least indicative of his own impending damnation.

So much of the garbage and filth that gets spewed from one Christian to another comes not from the gospels but from Paul's word. It seems that he, more than any other, divides the church. Perhaps these very writings work to achieve the original goal of Saul prior to "converting."

Also, I love how you turn again and tell me we are through discussing because I don't believe in your scriptures. It is true that I don't, but you claim to, yet you still don't address my question. I will break it down into simple yes or no questions:

Are you God?
Do you know the inner workings of God's mind?
Do you know the inner workings of each man's heart?
Do you have the power to condemn another man?

If you can't answer yes to every one of those questions, then your arrogant claims that you possess the sole correct answer and interpretation of the bible, and the names of those who will or will not be damned is not only foolish but the first comments (other than mine) that I have heard out here that truly approach heresy.

Look to yourself. Discuss with others if you think they can learn from you. But drop the declarations of damnation. It isn't your authority.

Keep usurping God's right to make the decision of who is living right, who is living wrong, and how wrong, and you are bound to make Her very angry.

Stephanie said...

Jason, I understand what you are getting at...yes the bible clearly states who is and who isn't going to heaven or hell, but my point is simply this...

It is possible for someone of a different religion to believe in the same Christ that you and I believe in. I don't think that only those that go to a "Christian" church have the possibility of going to heaven. I believe that Mormons can truly believe in the same Christ that you and I believe in, and be saved, but for that to happen they can't believe in the true Morman Doctrine or they'd be in conflict with their beliefs. Does that make sense? All I am trying to say is that the Kingdom is open to ALL those that believe. It doesn't say they have to claim to be of a certain religion, it simply states that they must repent and accept Christ as Lord and Savior. It is much more than just saying that Christ is diety...I get that Jason, but I was never even hinting that I thought that was enough. I hope I cleared up what I was trying to say. If there are still more questions please feel free to respond.

Hope you all have a blessed day!!!

Arthur Brokop II said...

I addressed the "fool" question in my recent post, which you are sure to see the next time you visit.
I don't think Paul is the cause of the division, I think the problem is that what Paul writes can not be taken alone, without coloring it with the words of Jesus, and the teaching of the OLD Testament.
Jason, you can say what you like, about having the "mind of God", but most of us know you don't.
Isaiah 55:8 and Romans 11:34

Wanderer said...

"Is God the author of scripture? If so, then one may go to scripture and find out what God has to say about these matters."

Jason - Do you truly claim that all God was, is and ever will be is bound in that book? It is a long book but it would take greater volumes to truly show all angles of myself, and I assure you that God is much greater than I.

You pick and choose again to try to defend a point you shouldn't have made. So I narrow the questions down to just one, in reference to my last comments so that we can make sure that you are not too taxed and sidetracked.

Can you answer yes to EVERY ONE OF THOSE FOUR QUESTIONS
that I posed to you?

If not, then you must acknowledge that at best you have a pretty good idea, and that pretty good idea creates the possibility that you might be wrong on some points. Then consider what your refusal to acknowledge your limitations in combination with your authoritarian claims might do to others who would believe you. If you close your ears and declare that you are done learning, your own soul is the one at risk, not ours.

Wanderer said...

"No offense, but I have nothing to learn from you in matters relating to the one true God since you don't know Him."

So then Jesus was wasting his time with the parable of the good Samaritan? With the fount of knowledge he had to draw from, you would think he would have noticed.

Arthur Brokop II said...

Jesus spent a lot of time with people who didn't matter. Matthew 9:10-13