everyone counts

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Evacuation Drill

"This is only a drill. Incase of a real emergency..."
Today, I will be one of 40 teachers and staff members shepherding nearly 400 junior high students from our school to the closest "safe place". About a quarter of a mile.
Dread!
Dread because it is going to ryle up an already riled up group of pre-adult, pre-christmas, pre-midterm persons.
Dread because I've been walking slow and breathing hard these days.
Dread because what if it were a real disaster? What will happen when it is a real disaster?
When I first started teaching, sweet first graders, I used to cry at fire drills
(I also cry at parades, halmark commercials, when i see convicts cleaning up the highway "I'm praying for your mothers", and last night i cried because the baby in the manger looked like my grandson)
But now we practice lock-downs and evacuations. Fire drills aren't enough.
Maybe it will snow. I'd love to go for a walk in the snow. Even if I would be walking with 400 13 and 14 year olds. But oh my gosh, that would really get them going.
"Seek the LORD while He may still be found!
call on him while he is near. Let the wicked forske his sin and the evil man his thoughts.
Let him turn to the LORD and He will have mercy on him, and to our God for He will freely pardon!" Isaiah 55:6-7 come on kids, before it's too late!
my heart is very heavy this morning - i better remember to take my blood presure medicine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

as someone who has worked with middle school students before. That does not sound like fun.

Good luck. I'll be praying for ya.

Arthur Brokop II said...

thanks for the prayers, it wasn't so bad...2 more days until Christmas break...yeah!