everyone counts

Friday, November 25, 2005

So much to say...

One of my favorite places to visit these days, here in cyberspace, is the Recent Earth Quake site. I guess I have a "morbid" curiosity in the shaking of the planet. It's been nearly a year since the Tsunami shook the earth. I remember thinking it was the breaking of the sixth seal. I've been watching the heavens, waiting for the sky to split apart like a scroll. Then I had this bright idea that the scroll that John saw was actually the ariel view of the hurricanes.
But these days, what used to be called acts of God become ammunition for policital debates about global warming, over population, racisim and misappropiration of funds.
What wise person coined the phrase "going to hell in a hand basket"?
Wake up oh sleeper!
I've been "seeing visions" and even "dreaming dreams". In worship I have "watched" my students dance before the throne of God. In prayer I have ministered to the brokenhearted, proclaiming the favorable year of the LORD, at "the mission". Gateway of the Rock.
And still, in cyber space, I fall prey to accusations that I am "of the enemy" because of my take on the Augustinian doctrine of predestination and divine election, and that really bothers me more than I can say.
I have searched scripture. I have come to the realization that we must look at the truths proclaimed there in the context of the time and language in which they originated. I have come to realize that many of the doctrines of the Church come from Church Fathers who were antisemetic, and later anticatholic. And I have also been made painfully aware, that these beliefs of mine are considered heresy by many of my Christian brothers and sisters.
And my dearly beloved Pastor Art says "so you are TRYING to start another fight."
Not really.
And I am not really worried that I am not one of "the elect". I am not worried about where I am going to spend eternity. I know that God is LOVE. I know that God is Light and in Him there is no darkness. I know that God is there, and that those who seek Him will find Him. I know that Jesus is exactly what the Bible says He is. Not metaphorical. Savior, Redeemer and Friend! Wait, that's not from the Bible, it's from a song. Still I believe it.
I am one of those Whosoevers in John 3:16.
Time to sign off. And God Bless Us Everyone!

13 comments:

Arthur Brokop II said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
M. C. Pearson said...

Maryellen~ My blogger friend, Pia, told me about it. Cursor by www.Soup-Faerie.Com

Just go to the site and follow the instructions! Fun and cute stuff to choose from.

I like your site too! What an in depth comment section you had on that post about predestination. Made my head spin.

I'm originally from California...been through too many earthquakes to count!

Stephanie said...

Awesome post!!! I'm so sorry so many people are saying so many hurtful things about your beliefs to you. It pains me that brothers and sisters in Christ can't even support each other in differences of opinion. I mean if we can't even find support from our family, how do we expect those yet to become brothers and sisters in Christ to feel support?

Maryellen, you are one tough lady and I admire your openness and respect your ability to stand up for your beliefs, even to those whom it's obvious you love, but are still saying hurtful things to you. You are truly being as Christ would be!!!

Keep standing proud...in the mean time...I'm here...I support you and love to hear what's going on in your life. :) My prayers are with you...Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

Grey Owl said...

Nicely said, Maryellen. I think you're making alot of sense. And while I don't know who's been saying that you're "of the enemy" because of your take on predestination, I think that - as someone who has a different opinion than you - you are one of the finest christians I've met on the Net. I don't care what you believe about the nonessentials, you and I both love christ and preach him crucified. You don't have to have it all figured out to be saved, you just have to believe and confess that he is Lord. Enough said.

Arthur Brokop II said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Arthur Brokop II said...

not that it's important, but the two comments deleted here were my own. M.C.I like your rainbow. I could write the whole story of our adventure here in New Mexico using rainbows. Rainbows there and here, Rainbows now and then. I have some beautiful rainbow stories.
Thanks for the info about the butterfly. I gotta check it out, it would be ok for my site, but it would drive my hubby Pastor Art crazy if it appeared anywhere else.

Arthur Brokop II said...

tonight, for the first time in my life (new life, redeemed life) i almost didn't take communion when it was offered. someone who has indicated indirectly that people who believe as i believe are heretics and of the enemy was there. i felt like i was being judged and fell short. i am beginning to think it isn't such a good thing to discuss religion - theology with friends. This person is a friend - i think. but I look at the cross and i see the love of Jesus, and I know where I stand with Him and that is all that really matters - behold the body of Christ, behold Him who takes away the Sin of the world.
Don't worry Briget, it wasn't at a Catholic Church, although the pastor did use the word "Eurcharist".

Chris P. said...

Did he say, "are of the enemy" ?Actually what did he say exactly?
I believed he referred to matters of conscience and to those who are unbelievers. I heard no reference to theological positions.

Arthur Brokop II said...

in response to Chris P.'s comment I stole this quote off the offending post.

"Today we find ourselves surrounded by an enemy. Some of these folks do not even know they are of the enemy, or at the very least doing his work.

The sovereignty of an all knowing, ever present, all powerful, God is being assaulted from every corner along with His Word, and those who are faithfully adhering to both. The fact that there is a God who has complete foreknowledge of every choice and circumstance and their consequences is being replaced by a new doctrine that essentially makes men co-creators, and Yahweh a complete klutz."

Although I never have, nor ever would even write the last words of that quote, let alone proclaim it, and even though this "new" doctrine isn't actually new, the rest of the post pretty much attacks (although misrepresenting some of the specifics) the doctrine to which I have adhered for many years. Logically speaking, if people who believe this way are of the enemy, and I believe this way, then...

Chris P. said...

I was referring to the comment made about Sunday evening communion.
One cannot misrepresent what is essentially an either/or doctrine . Either He knows, or He doesn't. If He doesn't, then He is not God.

Arthur Brokop II said...

i did not say that the comment was made at the communion service, i said because he who made the comment was there and in a prominant place i felt judged, not by God but by him. If I do not believe in the one true God, then I better not be taking communion or teaching sunday school etc.

Chris P. said...

Why are you doing your best to throw the weight of judgement on me, the very thing that you accuse me of doing? Ineteresting.
Take communion, that is between you and the Lord. I never said that you couldn't. More inportantly, why would I care??

Arthur Brokop II said...

Chris, your first sentence doesn't make sense. You have made a very judgemental statement about people who are of the enemy and working for the enemy, because of my theology I fall under that judgement. I am not doing the judging but I am feeling judged. Why would you care? Maybe because your a pastor and it's part of your job to care...