everyone counts

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

appearing with the permission of one of my students

For those of you interested in some of the Traditions of The Navajo People...

Thanksgiving Traditions of a New Mexico Family

By Merilu

On Thanksgiving I went to my grandmother’s house and on Thanksgiving my cousin came back from Afghanistan. And we had dinner with my cousin and we butchered a sheep at my grandmother’s house. After that we played my favorite game, the Navajo Shoe game and I had to sing the Navajo Shoe Game song because I knew the song. I learned how to weave with the grandmother and I did the spinning for her. Then I ate my favorite food, blood sauce and that’s where I went on Thanksgiving.

3 comments:

tacobell said...

Isn't Merilu fortunate to have a grandmother that takes the time to teach her how to spin and weave? It sounds like she had a perfectly wonderful day! Give her my regards on a paragraph that is well written!
Bridget

Arthur Brokop II said...

a guy from the state department came to our school this week, wanting to make sure we were complying with the NoChildLeftBehind mandate. We were supposed to be able to identify which students in our class were Limited English Speakers, or Limited English Proficent, and then explain what we were doing different for them than the rest of the students...in a school where 89% test as LEP it would be easier to say what we're doing differently for the 2 or 3 students that are proficient in English (Formal English that is)
In my class - sped - there are none that have tested as proficient in reading or formal/acedemic English. Oh How I love being a teacher! Really!

tacobell said...

Well, MaryEllen all you can do is your best. They are so blessed to have a very caring teacher like you. Who cares what the state department thinks! As a home schooling mom, I sometimes worry that my children aren't exposed to all they need for their lives. But as time goes on, I see that the only thing they aren't exposed to on a constant daily basis is total depravity and sin that is so prevalent in the high schools (and junior highs).
The point is: you are a very caring teacher and these children need you. So what if they cannot spell perfectly - the idea is to get to heaven anyway!
God bless you!
P.s. read your comment on Slice. It was very good. Some of them are so bitter. It's scary!