everyone counts

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Dance with Me

my whole blogging experience began when I read an "anti-emergent" post somewhere out there that mentioned open theism, stating that the open theist believed that we were in some kind of Dance with the Lord, where he led us and we chose to follow...something like that. I liked the way it sounded, but alas, that belief was defined as heresy.
my friend Bobbie just sent me this piece. i have read it before, and gave a copy of it to the members of the dance team i am on...thought this might be a good time to post it here too...
Dancing With God


When I meditated on the word Guidance,

I kept seeing "dance" at the end of the word.

I remember reading that doing God's will is a lot like dancing.

When two people try to lead, nothing feels right.

The movement doesn't flow with the music,

and everything is quite uncomfortable and jerky.

When one person realizes that, and lets the other lead,

both bodies begin to flow with the music.

One gives gentle cues, perhaps with a nudge to the back

or by pressing lightly in one direction or another.

It's as if two become one body,

moving gracefully & beautifully.

The dance takes surrender, willingness,

and attentiveness from one person

and gentle guidance and skill from the other.


My eyes drew back to the word Guidance

When I saw "G": I thought of God, followed by "u" and "I".

"God, "u" and "I" dance."

God, you, and I dance.

As I lowered my head, I became willing to trust

that I would get guidance about my life

Once again, I became willing to let God lead.

My prayer for you today is that God's blessings

and mercies be upon you on this day and everyday.

May you abide in God as God abides in you.

Dance together with God, trusting God to lead

and to guide you through each season of your life.


Thanks Bobbie

5 comments:

Kate said...

That's beautiful.

Anonymous said...

what kind of dancing does your team do? i had a friend back in college who was on a dance team for a vineyard church.

Arthur Brokop II said...

The dance team I on, which is mainly Native American, started out with mostly hebrew style dances, we are now putting our own style to original, prophetic songs being written by our worship team.
We use flags, and glory hoops and we have not gone into Traditional Native American style much, yet.

Anonymous said...

well I don't know about heresy :(

We are instructed to keep in step with the spirit of God. I see that as a waltz. He leads and I follow. If I try to lead I lose the rythym and step on His toes :(

love your blog and your prophetic dancing sounds awesome

be blessed :)

IMO said...

I think that dancing with God is beautiful! I think that God loves dancing and created us to dance with Him. Dancing is a beautiful thing--we are the bride of Christ-should we not dance with our groom? :)