everyone counts

Monday, June 13, 2005

Psalm 36 - CEV

Two summers ago, I was walking through a quiet neighborhood in Farmington New Mexico, having a crisis in faith. My son's story had been in the papers again, and our landlord had notified us that he was raising our rent by $150 a month at the end of our lease and would prefer it if we moved. He didn't say it had anything to do with Ardy, but we figured it did. A Christian friend told us about a home for rent, but that rent turned out to be higher than we thought we could afford, and we didn't know how we were going to come up with security deposit and first months rent. So, I went walking and praying, but mostly I was complaining to God, how could He let this happen to us...again? I prayed for help...but I was not praying with much faith...
Then a song came to me, and I started to sing...I will lift my voice and worship you my King, I will find my strength in the shadow of your wings. I kew the song well, and I knew it was from Psalm 36. So I went home and prayed through the psalm. Last night's worship service ended with the same chorus.
And although our current land lord hasn't given the final word, it doesn't look good. We will most likely be in the same position at the end of this summer. And not only will we have to move, again, but Ardy will probably have to stay in prison, perhaps a year longer, because he won't be able to be parolled to us.
So this morning I turned again to Psalm 36. I'm reading it in the CEV because all my other Bibles are in my other son's car. I used them for children's church and left them there yesterday. The CEV isn't my favorite, but any port in a storm...
The heading of the psalm is "Human Sin and God's Goodness."
Sometimes I feel like a big sinner. I fall prey to the condemnation of the enemy and start to believe that I must be wicked in the eyes of YHWH or else my life wouldn't be so bad. After all, Proverbs says a lot of things like: "if you are wicked, God won't let you have what you want" 10:3, "but there is no future for the wicked" 10:28, "The Lord never hears the prayers of the wicked" 15:29."he frustrates the plans of the wicked" 22:12. And so on, so therefore, logically, since my life is so bad, then the Lord must consider me wicked, with out hope, with out redemption, predestined as it were, to a life of failure and hardships.
Then again, although I am far from perfect, by any measure, I'm not the kind of sinner described in Psalm 36 verses 1 - 4. Sin is not all I think about. And I do respect and honor God. I may stay awake worrying, but I don't stay awake thinking up mischief or planning my next deceit. I am not proud of my short comings, and when I do fall short of the grace of God, Ifeel remorse and pray as in Psalm 51. So back to Psalm 36, and the Love of God.
His love is faithful
His love is a treasure
His love always provides
a life giving fountain, a light in the darkest hour.
Dare I pray "don't let those proud, merciless people kick me around or chase me away." verse 11.
May I atleast pray for Mercy, Wisdom, Peace...
This will be a Good Week
A week of worship and ministry.
Today there is Worship and Dance Team practice.
Tomorrow and Wednesday Pastor Art and I are helping with the Passion Play (PPMI) phone-a-thon, and the Worship team is recording Tuesday. Thursday morning the Dance Team is opening a Woman's conference, and we're dancing there Friday night as well. Saturday Pastor Art and I will be in Window Rock Arizona, the capitol of the Navajo Nation for their National Day of Prayer. Sunday is Father's day and the women of our church are planning a traditional dinner for the dads, ummm mutton!
So, one day at a time right? And to God be the glory!
Yes and Amen

No comments: