everyone counts

Saturday, May 14, 2005

Morning Meditation

I once heard John MacArthur teach on this book and the teaching led me to doubt my salvation. See, he believes that Sovereignty means never changing and all knowing, therefore He knows, not only knows, but chooses which human being is destined for heaven and which one is destined for hell. As one blogger said (tongue in cheek) “some are keepers and some are throw aways.” At least that’s what I understand from listening to him. And when He got to 1st John 5:14,15 “and this is the confidence which we have before Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us, and if we know that He hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests which we have asked from Him.” John MacArthur actually said that if we are one of the elect, our prayers will be answered, if our prayers go unanswered, then we probably are not really “saved.” So there I sat, at one of the most desperate times of my live, when my whole world was crashing in around me, thinking, surely if I were saved, this wouldn’t be happening. Not to me, not to my family, not to my son. I’m not talking about death, some terrible life threatening disease. Death I could deal with, death has no lasting sting for those who trust the LORD and have the hope and assurance of eternal life. This was, is, worse than death. And if God is sovereign, the way MacArthur and the likes teach about sovereignty, He not only allowed this crisis, He willed it, it was part of His Divine plan. And any God that would do that was just plain mean! But the message of 1st John is that God is Love. God is Light, there is no evil in Him, in His plan, or in His intent, no darkness…He Himself is the propitiation for our sins and not for ours alone but also for those of the whole world.
The one who loves his brother abides in the light and there is no cause for stumbling. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE…The command we must follow is Love God, Love each other. We are not to practice sin, but when we sin we are to take it to the Father through our Advocate Jesus Christ…
And I know, God does answer all prayers! Sometimes He says yes, Sometimes He says no. Sometimes He says wait, not yet. Sometimes we are like children begging our abba for cookies when He is busy fixing dinner…my son’s analogy. God has done a terrible, wonderful thing giving us a free will. Like any good parent, He lets us makes mistakes, hopes that we learn from them, and is there to offer comfort, advice, assistance when we get in trouble. He wants us to reason with Him, to be persistent in prayer, and to listen for His guidance. When we stray, He waits for us to figure out our mistake and like the prodigal’s father, He runs to meet us half way when we head for home. He gives every human a chance to come to Him, He calls every human by name. Some say yes, some say no. Some heard His voice as in the whirlwind, when no missionaries had yet come to them. Acts 17: 26 - 27
He made from one every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times and the boundaries of their habitation, that they should seek God, if perhaps they might grope for Him and Find him, though He is not far from each one of us…” Lately some bloggers out there have suggested that I am a heretic, or at least that I believe like one. I have been called a new age mystic, mostly because I see nothing wrong with using visual metaphors, to illustrate or demonstrate certain truths. I’m a teacher, and I have been criticized because I wouldn’t agree that all pubic schools are evil and all church/Christian schools are good. It has been suggested that I work within the antichrist system since I currently teach in a public school. I feel as if I am being condemned, but in Jesus there is no Condemnation. I have been a Christian for 25 years. I’ve been in and out of the refiners fire, I have grown steadily in the wisdom and knowledge of the LORD. I know the Bible and I believe in it.
I am not an expert, but I know how to check things for myself, I have a husband who can go back to the Greek and Hebrew texts when I have a serious question, and not just to Strongs Concordance. I don’t need someone to tell me what the Word means. I can read it for myself. I think I will stay away from those sights that list all the bad things, and never seem to focus on the good. I’ll stick with Philippians 4:8 for a while. My husband always “hated” that verse because it was too “sugar sweet” and often used by people as a platitude, as if that were all there was to being a Christian. Like those who never go beyond the beatitudes or John 3:16...but for now, it is really all I need…
Finally brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything is worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things.
Time to go outside and enjoy this glorious spring day!

4 comments:

Rob said...

Hi MaryEllen,

I'm with you on choosing to stay away from certain blogs, and for the same reasons! I really felt God speaking to me at church today about NOT getting sucked into the whole debating thing with people who have called me rebellious, a heretic, a false teacher, shallow Christian, etc. etc. etc.

It was weighing heavily on my spirit, and I realized that God was trying to tell me that I was taking on stupid battles that accomplish nothing but drag my own spiritual vitality down.

Jesus replied: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: "Love your neighbor as yourself." All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments. (Matthew 22:37-40)

This one verse alone will keep me busy, so I choose to invest my time wisely!

Kate said...

Have you ever read Madeleine L'Engle's book Walking on Water? I think you would really like it.

I really like the verse at the end of your post. It's something I often forget to do.

Arthur Brokop II said...

Kate, I just finished reading "A Wrinkel in Time" with my students. I never herd of "Walking on Water". Fiction or non fiction...I've only read her fiction. I'll look for it though. Summer is coming and at last I can do some nonschool related reading.

Kate said...

Hi Maryellen,
Oh, I love A Wrinkle in Time. If I ever do become a teacher, I think I would definitely read that one with my class. Walking on Water is non-fiction. It is subtitled, Reflections on Faith and Art. Although she does talk about art in many various forms, the book is as much about life and faith too. I read it over spring break, and I just thought of the book when I read your blog due to the similarity of thought.
Summer vacation must be fast approaching :)