everyone counts

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Just in the Nic of Time

That's a strange little idiom isn't it? Wonder where it came from.
I was just blogging around on my lunch break and noticed that it was nearly 12:34...my favorite time. So here I am again. With nothing much to say really. My friend Sis loved the time 11:11. I haven't talked to her in years. But I still pray for her everytime I look at a clock and see the time 11:11. I've been reading some more of the ec debates. The more I read, the more I think I have to side with the ec, at least in theory.
Traditional Churches are loosing people left and right. Christians have the Truth, they are the Light, but they continue to do a pretty poor job of winning souls and making disciples. I do not understand why some Christians are so opposed to what they call "The Social Gospel", when Isaiah and Jesus both confirmed that we were going to be judged on whether or not we fed the hungry, clothed the naked, etc. etc. etc. And Jesus's own brother said that faith without works is dead. Can dead faith save? And whats all this fuss about contemplative prayer and meditation. I don't think that Eastern Mystics, or new age mystics invented the idea of Meditation. As far as incense and candles, and smooth shiney rocks...what's the big deal?
Do we take the whole Bible literally? Is Jesus really a rock? or a lamb? or a lion? And are we really to pluck out our eye if it causes us to sin? There would be an awful lot of one eyed pastors if that were literally the case.
Who do we say Jesus is? We cannot compromise that! Is the Bible the living word of God? We can't deny that. But I read a lot of EC who have NOT rejected the living Word of God. Sin is Sin,
and sinners are lost...but all have sinned, and all continue to sin...no one is perfect.
I believe we are supposed to discern, to study to prove, to speak up and defend the truth!!!
But I will try to quote a comment I just read, Can't you see that your committment to scripture has actually become your committment to your own reading of scripture...can't you tell the difference?

3 comments:

Rob said...

Many moons ago, I realized that the Pharisees were OVER-confident in the absolute correctness of their theological positions. Today, of course, we shake our heads at their arrogance and unbelief...

... and quietly assume that we're incapable of being just like them.

My father preached a sermon called "Those Amazing Pharisees" when I was a teenager, and one of his points is that we are ALL quite capable of being Pharisaical (arrogant) in our smug assumption that we "get it" better than any other church or denomination.

For me, that was the throwing down of the gauntlet to be a proper Berean Christian -- searching the Scriptures for myself, and and learning from older Christians whose goal was to (a la Ephesians 4:11-13) equip me, rather than make me dependent on them to discern truth on my behalf.

Not that I don't have strong convictions, but I've learned (and am still learning, and probably will be for awhile) to be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry (James 1:19-20).

Great post -- I'm really enjoying "listening in" to your thoughts! :)

Arthur Brokop II said...

The debates don't make me angry. They make me sad...and frustrated.
Thanks for your kind comments

Arthur Brokop II said...

Flip,
EC stands for the "new" thing in churches (nothing is new under the sun) emergent church, or emergence movement...It's the subject of a big debate going on in some blogs...I got sucked in and I hate the whole thing.
but never mind...it's not important!